Catalytic converter help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The BB is benzworld.org. They have a BB for each model. I scan the the R170 one as I have an SLK. The thing is that most of the CAT problems seem to happen to 320s, from what I can see, and 320s are probably the least common SLK overall. The 230 is the most common, and the Yanks tend to go for the full-blown AMG32 instead of the 320. The Merc dealer I took my car to said that it was "not unusual" on 320s, because there had been a bad batch of CATs. (I suspect there were a lot of bad batches). If this is true then having had it changed, the problem should be solved. The dealer said I've now got another 3 year warranty on the CAT.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the engine of the V6 being unballanced and causing unhealthy vibration so breaking the Cat ceramic.

Unbalanced or not, its the smoothest engine I have had experience of! It is creamy smooth at all revs. Personally I dont think this is the likely cause - but hey, I'm no expert

The V6 is less unbalanced than the I4s and V8s so I would doubt this. If the V angle were 60 degrees instead of 90 it would be almost perfectly balanced. Also it has balancing shafts.

It's the V angle I am referring to. I know there are ballancer shafts so there is little vibration transmitted to the car body, but as the pistons are out of synch I wonder if this transmits vibration down the exhaust manifolds.

Last edited:
need some help guys

i have just replaced non gen cat on s320 and the drive has changed its not smooth anymore gears not changing as normal and the other thing is when at traffic lights the engine is kind off jumping then when i try to drive of car misses please can someone help.

need some help guys

i have just replaced non gen cat on s320 and the drive has changed its not smooth anymore gears not changing as normal and the other thing is when at traffic lights the engine is kind off jumping then when i try to drive of car misses please can someone help.

What year of car? Did the cat break up inside or just rattle?

Last edited:
its a x plate 99 the old cat rattled really bad so i changed it with non gen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom