Catalytic converter thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any catalytic converter thefts from Mercedes’ C Class cars?

My brother left his car with us as he went overseas and within 6 days the cat on his BMW 2010 318i was cut off by 4 villains.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus - you are supposed to be looking after his car. That is the last time he leaves the car with you.

Cat and DPF theft is very common. takes a matters of mins. They pull up, jack your car, use a cordless saw, off with the cat and they are gone. SCUM BAGS

.............. SCUM BAGS
Only because it affects us affects us directly.

Is it any worse than supporting criminal activity by buying knock-off designer gear, dodgy-box TV decoders and all those “special priced” items at the local car boot sales / markets or claiming from your insurance for stuff that was not actually lost/stolen/damaged :rolleyes:?

I don’t recall if it was this forum or the other where recently, a suggestion was made to buy pirated Satnav disk updates for COMAND.........

Here endeth the sermon.;)

I replaced the manicat (the cat is one part where the catalyst is directly cast on the exhaust manifold) of my 2006 Yaris ,It's not a particularly large one as its a 1.3 engine .

Despite the fact that the inner matrix has a big hole in it a recycling company offered me £100 for it . The new one (not OEM) was £140 .

A few years ago when buying a sprinter/crafter van for my son, I went to a van dealer in Leeds where all the dozens of vans were stored in a compound without the cats on, such was the rate of theft.
I test drove the van I bought without the rear part of the exhaust on, and the cat was fitted as I returned to collect it....

Up until recently it was all over the media in London. As another said, the cars that are high off the ground are easier prey.
It's rife in the USA as well
Catch the people people that melt/process them and the incestual inbreds won't have a reason to steal. A lady I know
had he petrol stolen - the inbreds cut the fule pipes i think and petrol was all over the drive, lots of damage to her old car and her confidence.

Is it any worse than supporting criminal activity by buying knock-off designer gear, dodgy-box TV decoders and all those “special priced” items at the local car boot sales / markets or claiming from your insurance for stuff that was not actually lost/stolen/damaged :rolleyes:
Never done any of these things but I think with CAT theft it’s the way they go about it.
2 guys cutting it off and 1 guy ready to smash you over the head with his baseball bat on your own doorstep should you protest.

I've seen videos like that and in broad daylight too.

Slightly different but a friend of one of our children had the few months old MB stolen in the middle of the night. It was summer and windows open so the owner felt he heard some noises on their drive had a look and saw a car parked across their drive and couple of guys walking around his car and the owner called out saying something like 'what you doing' - they told him stay up there unless he wanted to be battered they took the car and police arrived within minutes but car was never found again.

Slightly OT but my car insurance co this year sent me a letter well before the renewal date warning me of potential big rise is premium as my type of car was a greater risk and wanted to warn so I could shop around. It was LV, IMO that was nice of them but my car was bought brand new in 2016 low miles FSH GLE but I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order and I think they got that confused. Anyway, the good news was I tried Saga, not just substantially cheaper but paid a bit more for a guarantee that insurance premium wont go up for another two years and saved a few hundred over three years if no claims etc. Even having paid the additional amount and almost like for like cover works out a few hundred cheaper

...............but my car was bought brand new in 2016 low miles FSH GLE but I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order and I think they got that confused. ...........
“brand new"........but
“low miles".....and
“FSH"....?
“I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order”...............

Apologies but that is all very confusing & Stop Start is not a selectable option on (AFAIK) on any vehicle.

“brand new"........but
“low miles".....and
“FSH"....?
“I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order”...............

Apologies but that is all very confusing & Stop Start is not a selectable option on (AFAIK) on any vehicle.
I took it as the op bought it new in 2016, he didn’t do many miles in it and it had FSH.
No confusion here.

I know nothing about stop/start stuff though.

I've seen videos like that and in broad daylight too.

Slightly different but a friend of one of our children had the few months old MB stolen in the middle of the night. It was summer and windows open so the owner felt he heard some noises on their drive had a look and saw a car parked across their drive and couple of guys walking around his car and the owner called out saying something like 'what you doing' - they told him stay up there unless he wanted to be battered they took the car and police arrived within minutes but car was never found again.

Slightly OT but my car insurance co this year sent me a letter well before the renewal date warning me of potential big rise is premium as my type of car was a greater risk and wanted to warn so I could shop around. It was LV, IMO that was nice of them but my car was bought brand new in 2016 low miles FSH GLE but I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order and I think they got that confused. Anyway, the good news was I tried Saga, not just substantially cheaper but paid a bit more for a guarantee that insurance premium wont go up for another two years and saved a few hundred over three years if no claims etc. Even having paid the additional amount and almost like for like cover works out a few hundred cheaper
Tip for next year......

I’ve just renewed with SAGA - I had the same 3 year deal setup (starting last year fixed for 3 years). Based on a tip on one of the forums, I went to TopCashBack & got a new quote (from SAGA for identical cover) - £13 more than if I’d stuck to the scheme but scored £80-00 cashback.

I took it as the op bought it new in 2016, he didn’t do many miles in it and it had FSH.
No confusion here.

I know nothing about stop/start stuff though.
Many thanks.

Tip for next year......

I’ve just renewed with SAGA - I had the same 3 year deal setup (starting last year fixed for 3 years). Based on a tip on one of the forums, I went to TopCashBack & got a new quote (from SAGA for identical cover) - £13 more than if I’d stuck to the scheme but scored £80-00 cashback.

LOL, you just reminded me of the Quidco thingy I am with. Just checked as I forgotten all about it - not 80 for me but 24. But I have saved a lot when compared with my previous insurance co.

saga.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom