Caterham trackday terror. Winter Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
So, I've been considering building a Caterham to monster around on trackdays.

This written-off 2003 Roadsport SV (the fat ******* version) was cheap at £4k. It needs a new chassis and it'll be rebuilt from scratch with all the right bits.

It should end up with a 330hp 2.0 Supercharged Duratec motor with sequential gearbox and flappy paddles, weighing around 525kg. :bannana::bannana:

47D78944-1A57-45C0-885B-EE8162818497.jpg

Should end up a great bit of kit. I have played in the 260 on track a number of times and not sure I am man enough for one with over 300bhp! It would likely end up looking like your starting point.

Can't get much more fun for the money. Let us know how the project goes.

Should end up a great bit of kit. I have played in the 260 on track a number of times and not sure I am man enough for one with over 300bhp! It would likely end up looking like your starting point.

Can't get much more fun for the money. Let us know how the project goes.

You've got a CSR!? :thumb: A CSR was my preferred starting point, but I got fed up waiting for one to turn up that wasn't insanely priced. :wallbash:

Peter DLM said:
You've got a CSR!? :thumb: A CSR was my preferred starting point, but I got fed up waiting for one to turn up that wasn't insanely priced. :wallbash:

Not mine I am afraid, it's a friends and what an awesome bit of kit but the price would put me off too.

Damage looks fairly minimal, what is wrong with the chassis part.

Damage looks fairly minimal, what is wrong with the chassis part.

Looks like it's straddled a motorway barrier or something, the bottom of the gearbox is bashed in and the rear basket part of the chassis has chunks missing.

Motor is still good though and it has the big brakes and other bits that I need.

Thats a start how long do you think it will take before you get it running?

Thats a start how long do you think it will take before you get it running?

Target is March, ready for Spring. Should be possible.

Just about to spend £5,500 on a gearbox :( not cheap some of these parts :wallbash:

See if you can guess what colour scheme I'm planning based on the seats I've bought for it. :D

It's the same as a MKII RS2000 I had back in the day.

ca17b9c45e4d8426ec7d9bd4fd1ef6a6.jpg

Yellow with black bits will look good. Have you gone for the sequential box?

Yup, the Sadev jobbie. It's the gearbox of the moment.

Doesn't make paying for it any easier though. That's the ex VAT price as well!

Great box have you had a play with one? If you carry on at this rate you will have a very special car.

No, haven't had the pleasure, but it has good reviews from the fast boys and it's current fitment for the 620 R.

It had better be special with what I'm spending haha. I'm hoping for £25k to end up with an SV version of the 620 R costing £50k, but with a bit more power and a full roll cage.

Its great the csr had one and I was so impressed. Your car will be a beast and worth every penny.

Roll on spring and track days.

Some more pics... Poor thing is looking very sorry for itself at the moment.

On the plus side, lots of boxes are turning up with new shiny cool things inside :)

Sourced a 275hp Duratec motor complete with ancillaries etc, chosen the gear ratios for the new Sadev gearbox, new bellhousing and flywheel/clutch parts arrived.

I'm trying to get and R500 carbon fibre dashboard with Stack dash, this won't be easy or cheap, but I totally love how it looks. :fail

9a93ee7ad7e803231103e9fb0307f36e.jpg

4c95074126b54d2b61d38f7c5f5f8959.jpg

Looks to be a fun project, but if the body and suspension is bent and you've had to buy a new engine and gearbox what did you get for your original £4k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom