Caterham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OGiii

Car
W211 E200 K - they don't make em like they used to, which is why it's been replaced with a 911 :)
I've been thinking of buying a 'classic' for a while now. Basically I am very happy with the Merc, it's a great day to day family car, looks impressive for business and handles/drives better than I could have hoped for....... but...... I feel the need for something that I can have a bit of fun in.

I'd been thinking classics because I like the idea of cheap classic car insurance and no road tax but nothing grabs me that wouldn't cost a fortune.

Then I suddenly thought Caterhams, had a quick browse on Autotrader and was surprised at how cheap you can buy them for, particularly of course older models which would be eligible for classic insurance.

Does anybody have any experience of owning them. I've driven them on the track and they certainly fit the 'fun' criteria but I wouldn't want something that became a pain in the **** to own. I'm after hassle(ish) free fun where I can use it the odd evening and weekend or for the office on a nice day like today - suppose I could do the odd track day in it too :devil:

It wouldn't get much use because I've got a young family and apart from only fitting one of them in with me, the thought of crashing one of these things with a little OG in scares me to death.

What do you think?

Dorian will be able to give you some advice I expect.

My brother (member MJB) also has one (may be for sale soon!) which although has very light use, is his only car and is in effect his "daily driver" although he only actually uses it a few times a week (if that).

C230Cat7.jpg

The Caterham 7 forum is called Blat Chat

www.blatchat.com

Thanks Graham.

Check out Tiger Cars: http://www.tigerracing.com

They're another lotus-7 based kit-car manufacturer, just like Westfield, Caterham etc

Some of their cars use motorbike engines, they were featured on 5th gear (might have been "old" top gear as it was Tiff Needell who drove) and they produce a street-legal car that does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds :)

Lots of different cars, donor and build options to choose from! :)

tiger-z100-mk2.jpg

mmm...twin bike engines :D

Last edited:
If it were me, and if I had some garage-space, I would consider making one. It's the cheaper option and you'd learn a thing or two from the experience! Plus I would have to think hard before spending about £5k on somone else's 15 year old kitcar! :eek:

Shude said:
I would have to think hard before spending about £5k on somone else's 15 year old kitcar! :eek:

I know what you mean. I've got a friend who owns a garage so obviously I'd ask him to look it over - don't suppose it's one for the RAC vehicle check service like I had when I bought wife's C Class :)

5 grand certainly isn't throw away money but I wouldn't think you'd lose much on buying something like this and it should be relatively cheap to keep it mechanically sound due to the donor vehicles generally being Fords etc. Not that I'm planning on buying that one, but you know what I mean!

Couldn't be botherd building one myself, I don't have enough free time so by the time I'd built it I'd have changed my mind about wanting one :crazy:

OGiii said:
Couldn't be botherd building one myself, I don't have enough free time so by the time I'd built it I'd have changed my mind about wanting one :crazy:
A friend of my father's decided to buy a westfield as his retirement occupation, "an old-man's toy" he said. He thought it would keep him busy for a few months at least but he finished it in about 4 or 5 weeks :)

Looking at the way you like to mod your car Shude it could be just the job for you :D

OGiii said:
Looking at the way you like to mod your car Shude it could be just the job for you :D
I'd love to make a kitcar, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time, sadly right now when I have stacks of spare time I have no money! Of course as soon as I'm working again I will have the money but no time any more. Evil really.

OGiii said:
Looking at the way you like to mod your car Shude it could be just the job for you

Just for the record mate, my previous post sounds like a nasty pun - didn't realise you weren't working at the moment :eek:

I can imagine a lot of satisfaction from building your own, I'd be hopeless even if I did have the time, I'm the sort that never puts all the screws back when I take something apart to 'fix' it - no patience :)

Don't forget to check out the Robin Hoods - cheap to build and cheap to buy.

And the LoCosts too.

Cheap fun with BIG smiles.

I'd also personally go for a self-build as opposed to someone elses build.

K

Kinky said:
Or how about ....

http://www.tickover.co.uk/rover.htm

Kinda meets the cheap, fun, classic criteria.

K

When I as younger I loved the 2.8i Capris, couldn't imagine owning one now though :crazy:

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts Kinky.

I never knew there were so many Lotus7 kits.

This looks interesting, originally a factory built show car.

DIY is probably the best option but not for me I'm affraid.

Cheers

Last edited:
Having helped build a Caterham with a friend a long time ago, I can vouch for the option that build from new is best for quality and reliability as you will know every inch of the car.

That option of course is expensive unless you're prepared to trawl through the scrappers for bits.

The second hand option is the best for value in my opinion as you have a usable car which you could then maintain/refurb at your own pace.

Having experienced a Caterham round Cadwell Park, all I can say is go for it!! :D

I have looked at Caterhams and the like many, many times but as I am 6ft 8" tall most are no good at all for me. Best chassis design and engineering I have seen are on the MK and the Luego, both are top notch!!

OGiii said:
... This looks interesting, originally a factory built show car ....

My best [work] mate has a Stryker, and is closely involved in the club - 99% chance I could more details on the car.

They also have a forum like this - I'll get the URL for you on Monday (on holiday until then). THey also have a forsale section.

In addition to that - there is a VERY good Lotus 7 forum which has a for sale section split into Lotus 7s and Replicas.

K

Caterham do a one or two day hire, price being refunded if you order from them. Not cheap but not hugely expensive either and if still undecided will either confirm that you love this type of car, hate them or more likely end up somewhere inbetween: "Want Want Want" and " Must....resist...temptation..."

Me, finally cured of the urge by the pleasure of being given a lift in a Westfield from Devon to Surrey. Great fun to start with, but after an hour I was very clear why they (a) tend not to do big miles (b) do not get driven in the wet much (c) you sometimes see people wearing full face crash helmets whilst driving them and (d) why the canvas hoods end up in a skip.

After that knew it would end up being just a toy that I sometimes drove in good weather, but not really often enough to justify the time, effort or garage space. (Also my wife told me to grow up and attend to the many pressing tasks in house, garden etc first and Get the Bloody Kitchen Sorted . :eek: But that of course had absolutely nothing to do with my decision.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom