Catering for tradesmen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tea is an infusion, so you would (possibly) have been more correct in saying "...teas and other infusions...".

I stand corrected. I usually just go by what it says on the tin.

Darjeeling is Orange Pekoe. First Flush is extremely delicate, better consumed without milk and prized for being an excellent summer tea. Second flush is more robust, then you have broken Orange Pekoe, which gives a more tannic tea, which will withstand milk and is a good summer breakfast tea. Ceylon Orange Pekoe tends to be heavier.

Personally, I would head to Fortnums to ask for a proper builders tea. Only leaf will provide that extra bit of tannin to cut through the fatty arteries, and I would venture that their Royal blend with a little Kenya or Ceylon added would provide that early morning pick me up your average London tradesman needs. Bone china mugs are a compromise between ease of use and the delicacy that china brings. If asked for sugar, claim not to have any.

For those that smoke, a Russian caravan (a blend of Oolong, Keemun and Lapsang Souchong) has a nice smoky edge from the Lapsang, but a depth and cut from the other two black China teas. Probably more popular with Essex based traffic cops of late, having that exotic eastern air of the slow moving caravan, combined with the smoky smell of the burning transmission fluid. Good with doughnuts too.

Last edited:
Just don't give them tea you wouldn't drink yourself. The odd offer of a cup of tea [which you will drink with them of course] is an excellent way to break the ice and find out exactly how the job is going --or not.;)

Quite cheap, you can get it in either bag or loose from Tesco from Twinnings. Its cheaper by the box loose, thats if you really really want to treat them. However with the loose tea you're scuppered if you dont have a tea strainer of some kind. Maybe PG tips or tetleys would be your best bet. I mean without soundging rude, they're not going to be members of the women's Institute and slate you for 'giving them a lesser tea' ;)

Strainer and tea pot I have; equipment is not the issue. It's more a question of whether they'd turn their noses up at a fruit or jasmine tea if it's not what they're used to. I also don't have any normal sugar in the house as I don't use it myself.

However, the consensus seems to be that tradesmen like PG Tips (should have known from the Piano Movers), so I may just nip out and bag some, along with a budget kettle.

Many thanks for all the advice given.

Just don't give them tea you wouldn't drink yourself. The odd offer of a cup of tea [which you will drink with them of course] is an excellent way to break the ice and find out exactly how the job is going --or not.;)

Now I'm confused again! :confused:

I was all ready to get some PG Tips, but can't say I've ever had that myself. Think I'll stick with Plan A, though.

Was hoping not to have to break the ice. I get rather lost when these people try explain the intricacies of what they are doing. I'd much rather just trust them to get on with it and let me know when they've finished.

I would leave them be. They'll either assume you're mad or on the pull if you chat to them too much.

If you can't bring yourself to buy monkey tea or Tetley, you can buy a box (50 bags) of Twinings Assam or English Breakfast, both of which will be perfectly acceptable and won't lower the tone of your cupboard.

Just don't buy the everyday tea in the yellow box - it's not nice.

Darjeeling is Orange Pekoe. First Flush is extremely delicate, better consumed without milk and prized for being an excellent summer tea. Second flush is more robust, then you have broken Orange Pekoe, which gives a more tannic tea, which will withstand milk and is a good summer breakfast tea. Ceylon Orange Pekoe tends to be heavier.

Personally, I would head to Fortnums to ask for a proper builders tea. Only leaf will provide that extra bit of tannin to cut through the fatty arteries, and I would venture that their Royal blend with a little Kenya or Ceylon added would provide that early morning pick me up your average London tradesman needs. Bone china mugs are a compromise between ease of use and the delicacy that china brings. If asked for sugar, claim not to have any.

For those that smoke, a Russian caravan (a blend of Oolong, Keemun and Lapsang Souchong) has a nice smoky edge from the Lapsang, but a depth and cut from the other two black China teas. Probably more popular with Essex based traffic cops of late, having that exotic eastern air of the slow moving caravan.

You're clearly as much a connoisseur of tea as you are of wine, Mr M. I, on the other hand, simply go by taste - I either like it or I don't. My tea comes from either Fortnum's or Partridge's, and I never sully it with either milk or sugar.

You're clearly as much a connoisseur of tea as you are of wine, Mr M. I, on the other hand, simply go by taste - I either like it or I don't. My tea comes from either Fortnum's or Partridge's, and I never sully it with either milk or sugar.

Alas my tea knowledge is but a merest fraction of that of wine. But they share many factors in common, tannin being one, and when it comes to Chinese food, tea is so much better as an accompaniment.

Well, they seem to have taken themselves off for a spot of lunch without so much as a by your leave. Which is good. Demonstrates a tendency towards self-sufficiency.

No danger there.

Inspired by the thread, just enjoying some Russian caravan out of my newly acquired Bristol Owners Club mug. All it needs is the incense of old leather, horsehair and petrol, and the smell would be very redolent of the cars...

Tea for builders and we are on page 4 . I agree with DM funniest Thread for ages :D What a diverse bunch we are :)

I suppose you'll tell us that the split infinitive is acceptable now, especially when talking about the tea drinking proclivities of tradesmen.

Last edited:
Well, they seem to have taken themselves off for a spot of lunch without so much as a by your leave. Which is good. Demonstrates a tendency towards self-sufficiency.

They may have took the huff Mocas due to your lack of hospitality and may never return!!!

Always offer them tea just to keep them on site so the job gets done, you could even take the tea up onto the roof yourself and inspect the work quality!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom