Catering for tradesmen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Help! Got a tradesman coming today to start some work on my roof. It's just occured to me that he may ask for refreshments, and I'm not sure I've really got anything suitable.

Does anyone know what they drink? I know they tend to like a mug of tea, but what type? Are you supposed to invite them in, or take it out to where they are working? Or will he just bring a flask of his own and get on with it? Will he want biscuits? Sandwiches? If so, that's a whole new minefield...

Sorry for all the questions, but I have no idea of the protocol and I suddenly feel very inept. I didn't even think to ask the guy when commissioning his services, and there's nothing mentioned on the schedule of works. This is the first time I've been around when workmen have been here - I normally make myself scarce. Someone here will know.

Refreshments?:D

Tradesmen supply their own...after all, if you are not there, what will they do?

If you offer them something, they will not decline, but they are not expecting it.

If it is a lengthy job (e.g. several days), they would usually sort themselves out i.e. they would go to the local Tesco and buy their own stuff, then find a quiet place to consume it. It would be nice if you could give them a kettle they can use, assuming there is a mains socket in the work area (probably not very applicable to the roof though?).

That's my experience...

Edit: What Renault12ts and Charles Morgan said.

You are a kind soul, MOCAŠ...

Last edited:
Refreshments?:D

Tradesmen supply their own...after all, if you are not there, what will they do?

If you offer them something, they will not decline, but they are not expecting it.

Thanks - that what I was hoping, but on the other hand, I didn't want to appear neglectful or stand-offish. I may just find an excuse to nip out for the afternoon once they're up and running.

If it a lengthy job (e.g. several days), they would usually sort themselves out i.e. they would got to the local Tesco and buy their own stuff, then find a quiet place to consume it. It would be nice if you could give them a cattle they can use, assuming there is a mains socket in the work area (probably not very applicable to the roof though?).

That's my experience...

Would that be for the milk, and wouldn't just a cow be enough??:p

I usually let them know where the tea, coffeee, milk and sugar is and let them get on with it. As Renault says, they are used to working with no body present so they are usually armed with flask and sandwiches.

When starting a new job, we always took our own tea, coffee etc etc.

As long as they can plug a kettle in somewhere.

I would, in a domestic environment keep the coffee / tea coming - they will not be fussy. Food they will sort themslves out.

Thanks - that what I was hoping, but on the other hand, I didn't want to appear neglectful or stand-offish. I may just find an excuse to nip out for the afternoon once they're up and running.

I quite understand, one does worry about these things from time to time.

Just ask them if they would like a drink, hot or cold and if they ask for something you haven't got, tell them that you'll have to nip and buy some.

Or get the butler to deal with them....

If it is a lengthy job (e.g. several days), they would usually sort themselves out i.e. they would go to the local Tesco and buy their own stuff, then find a quiet place to consume it. It would be nice if you could give them a kettle they can use, assuming there is a mains socket in the work area (probably not very applicable to the roof though?).

That's my experience...

Edit: What Renault12ts and Charles Morgan said.

You are a kind soul, MOCAŠ...

Would that be for the milk, and wouldn't just a cow be enough??:p

I have no idea what you are talking about :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Help! Got a tradesman coming today to start some work on my roof. It's just occured to me that he may ask for refreshments, and I'm not sure I've really got anything suitable.

Does anyone know what they drink? I know they tend to like a mug of tea, but what type? Are you supposed to invite them in, or take it out to where they are working? Or will he just bring a flask of his own and get on with it? Will he want biscuits? Sandwiches? If so, that's a whole new minefield...

Sorry for all the questions, but I have no idea of the protocol and I suddenly feel very inept. I didn't even think to ask the guy when commissioning his services, and there's nothing mentioned on the schedule of works. This is the first time I've been around when workmen have been here - I normally make myself scarce. Someone here will know.

:D Lol, I'm sorry, no offence MOCAS I found this rather endearing. I'm sure you're the 'poshest' gent I know! :D

Just ask them if they would like a drink, hot or cold and if they ask for something you haven't got, tell them that you'll have to nip and buy some.

That's what I was dreading - that they'd ask for some blend I don't have and I'd end up making them feel awkward by having to go and get it in specially. I really should have thought about this sooner.

Or get the butler to deal with them....

Had to let him go, remember? Some nasty business with the scullery maid...

:D Lol, I'm sorry, no offence MOCAS I found this rather endearing. I'm sure you're the 'poshest' gent I know! :D

None taken. I'm very down-to-earth, but just not used to dealing directly with people who may have different tastes to mine.

As long as they can plug a kettle in somewhere.

That would also be a problem for me. I only use spring water in my kettle, so as not to taint the taste of teas and infusions. I can't see them understanding this, somehow...

That would also be a problem for me. I only use spring water in my kettle, so as not to taint the taste of teas and infusions. I can't see them understanding this, somehow...

You obviously can't give them your kettle, as you will need it yourself during the day, won't you? Do you not have a tradesmen kettle about the house? One kept for... well, tradesmen? Time to nip to the shops and get a cheap one for a tenner or so...

that they'd ask for some blend I don't have
You make me chuckle^^

They'll be fine with PG Tips or Coffee Mate, I'd be amazed if they turned around and asked for the Twinings Lemongrass & Yoba to be served in your finest China....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom