Catylic Converter Removal G63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C63toML63

Car
G63 AMG 2019
Anyone removed the Catalytic Converter from a G63AMG (W463A) or added a High Flow CAT?

How did it go, any learnings as mine is being removed tomorrow?

:oops:

Last edited:
Not had it done but be good to hear how you get on.

Who is removing the cat convertor for you and who did you decide to go with for your map?

Anyone removed the Catalytic Converter from a G63AMG (W463A) or added a High Flow CAT?

How did it go, any learnings as mine is being removed tomorrow?

:oops:
I’ve never tinkered with exhausts on my cars but it’s a very common modification on all models, so as long as it’s a quality job then you shouldn’t have any issues.

My only suggestion would be to make sure that you retain the cats when they’re removed so that it can be put back at a later date if needs be, or sold.

Realistically, what gains are achieved by removing the cats?
I suspect that the “benefit” is as much about noise as it is about power. On turbocharged car there will be a measurable improvement in power if the ECU is tuned.

No cat will be an MOT fail once the car hits 3 years old. So if you go that route make sure it can be reinstated, as Bobby Dazzler suggested. A sports cat shouldn't be a problem though.

How many cats are there on this car? I know that my old E63 with the M157 only had one per side and, when they were replaced with straight downpipes, I got a check engine light until it was mapped out.

If there are two per side then you'll probably get away with it.

As for the benefits, it's removing a massive flow restriction thereby increasing power considerably though, as I mentioned earlier, a decent map would be needed to sort it properly.

Gutted the cat on a c180 for my father saying it will be better, created a horrible flat spot, but an engine that size and flat spots are hard for me to fathom

So I thought I would update this thread as I’m now the other side of my G63AMG performance upgrade:
So I’ve had a Titanium Evolution Akrapovic Exhaust (limited Black edition) system with link pipes fitted. I then had DMS tune the vehicle.
The garage were very good and installed it in parts so I could hear how the car sounded at each stage. So first was the exhaust installation, it only sounded marginally better (the OPF stays in place) and this is what most people do as you don’t require a remap. So I went further to achieve my goal of a great sounding G63AMG..

The second part is more intrusive which is having the OPF filter removed and Akrapovic link pipes installed. These obviously attach to the Akrapovic exhaust and the original header pipes that link to CAT and the Engine.

Wow that part of the work made one hell of a difference, it sounds unbelievable - like a spitfire when the flaps are open. Removing the CAT and installing a sports CAT was just not required. It probably would have been too loud, trust me when I say the sound is epic!

DMS then remapped the vehicle, that part feels a little bit of a dark art as they just tell you that you are now rolling with 750BHP. I don’t NOT believe them but i want to know so I’m going to get it on a Dyno to see.... Can anyone recommend a top class Dyno in london or surrounding areas?

All in all the work cost me 11K

Thanks for all your advice.

Not had it done but be good to hear how you get on.

Who is removing the cat convertor for you and who did you decide to go with for your map?
See below: posted an update (DMS for the tune)

whoever remapped should produce a before and after dyno report....

especially if you have dropped £11k on them....

whoever remapped should produce a before and after dyno report....

especially if you have dropped £11k on them....
Well that includes the cost of fitting and purchase of the exhaust system.

The remap was inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the work. In going to get the Dyno done now but agree they should do that as a matter of course as the whole process feels a little vague. They are going to send me some stock vehicle data they have done and then I’m going to get it on the Dyno to see the difference. Not much else I can do really...

Afraid not - I'm not one for tuning and tinkering.

If i want a faster car, i buy a bigger engine 😃

No doubt others will advise based on their own experiences...

Really so best to get it on the DYNO - any place you would recommend?

Going on my experience with MSL in Birmingham, I'd take it to PrestigePerformance/MSL in Dagenham where they have a 4wd dyno.

Prestige & MSL Performance
7 Coppen Road,
Dagenham,
Essex,
RM8 1HJ
020 8592 8849

You may also want to talk to GAD out in Burnham-on-Crouch. They have a RR and full diagnostics that can answer your questions.

Going on my experience with MSL in Birmingham, I'd take it to PrestigePerformance/MSL in Dagenham where they have a 4wd dyno.

Prestige & MSL Performance
7 Coppen Road,
Dagenham,
Essex,
RM8 1HJ
020 8592 8849
Thanks - seeing them this Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom