Caught on Google

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

No prizes for spotting the twunt in this series of Google Maps shots (it's about 3 miles to the next right turn!). Still, at least he indicated to come off the roundabout from the wrong lane.

But check out the confusing traffic lights in this first shot.

15929204322_ac5c64b234_o.jpg

15742416798_84028ffde5_o.jpg

15744111377_fed73e9990_o.jpg

Yep, that's still the same car in the outside lane:
15904058656_c06b6d6cee_o.jpg

Still there in the distance as a car comes past ...
15743833069_c34a3996c3_o.jpg

... and another - and they both know which side of the road to drive. But you can just about make out the green car, still in the outside lane!
15310210163_ae5759e2e3_o.jpg

I used to live in Werrington, and Peterborough driving was always, err, "interesting".

The number of brain-dead morons who would sit in the right-hand lane on any of the dual carriageways (the A15 from Werrington to the Brotherhood's roundabout was a favourite) because they were intending to turn right in around a mile's time was ridiculous.

I long ago formed the opinion that the City had a great road system rendered ineffective by the local populace.

I've been living in Peterborough for 7 years (Hampton, the opposite end to Werrington) and still unable to accept the "interesting" driving skills as you call them. The "get into the outside lane at least a mile before needing too" brigade are everywhere.

I'm confused by the first picture (doesn't take a lot lol) as to why the left side traffic light is showing green, but the right hand one is red. They appear to be positioned at the same distance from the camera location.

I'm confused by the first picture (doesn't take a lot lol) as to why the left side traffic light is showing green, but the right hand one is red. They appear to be positioned at the same distance from the camera location.

The camera revolves (as far as I know)...the pics may not have been taken at the same instance?

As for the guy in the overtaking lane...there was nobody behind him, so although incorrect, I wouldn't get overly exercised about him. Now...if he didn't move over when approached from behind...

It is the price of progress - they'll either get the idea or find out the hard way. Had the same problem in Dublin when the opened the dual carriageway to Naas - people in tractors and JCB diggers pretending it just happened to be two roads side by side, so meeting someone coming the other way in the overtaking lane was almost normal.
Had the same thing in Lagos but then that was Africa for you!

It is the price of progress - they'll either get the idea or find out the hard way. Had the same problem in Dublin when the opened the dual carriageway to Naas - people in tractors and JCB diggers pretending it just happened to be two roads side by side, so meeting someone coming the other way in the overtaking lane was almost normal.
Had the same thing in Lagos but then that was Africa for you!

That dual carriageway opened in the 60s.

Thats tesco hampton roundabout, dont think it looks like that anymore?

Worst one is the new eye roundabout, coming from gunthorpe way turning right down perkins parkway. All 3 lanes (the 4th far left cant) can turn right. Seems reasonable as there is 3 exit lanes but no ones pays attention and always cuts accross the line into the middle lane.

^^ yep they may as well burn all the white lines off as it's a bit of a free for all. If you are heading to Eye from town and you stay in the correct lane people think your entering the petrol station and pull out in front of you :doh:

To be fair, there is a road merging onto the dual carriageway just after passing under the bridge, so I would also be inclined to adopt the right hand lane too to leave the 1st lane clear for any potential merging traffic.

Also, on an empty dual carriageway like that, I would adopt which ever lane is in better condition. For example, I wouldn't use the 1st lane if it was beaten up if the 2nd lane was smoother and in better condition.

There's no way I will put my car, tyres, wheels & suspension in harms way just because I'm "supposed" to be in the left lane if the council can't even keep the roads maintained.

I don't feel that sticking to the left lane is necessary when the carriageway is empty.
Same as a motorway.
I get the whole lane hogging thing and I always move over when something approaches from behind.
But I'm not sitting in the 1st lane on an empty carriageway.

I believe it far safe to sit in the middle lane so that you have an equal chance of evasive action to the left and right if anything should happen (blow-out, for example).

A) to be fair, there is a road merging onto the dual carriageway just after passing under the bridge, so i would also be inclined to adopt the right hand lane too to leave the 1st lane clear for any potential merging traffic.

B) i believe it far safe to sit in the middle lane so that you have an equal chance of evasive action to the left and right if anything should happen (blow-out, for example).

A) I agree. I adopt the same principle on motorways if I overtake in the vicinity of an acceleration lane. I stay out until I can see if anything's about to join the carriageway. It's the way I was taught.

B) Conversely, by the same token, if your car konks out, you've less chance of getting over to the hard shoulder. I'd sh*t myself if I konked out in any of the running lanes. Not all drivers are capable of seeing and avoiding a stationary vehicle in the carriageway, and I say that from experience. When did this positioning last 'save your bacon'? What are the other potential incidents that the "for example cover"? With respect, in this matter I think your extrapolation may be suspect.

A) I agree. I adopt the same principle on motorways if I overtake in the vicinity of an acceleration lane. I stay out until I can see if anything's about to join the carriageway. It's the way I was taught.

B) Conversely, by the same token, if your car konks out, you've less chance of getting over to the hard shoulder. I'd sh*t myself if I konked out in any of the running lanes. Not all drivers are capable of seeing and avoiding a stationary vehicle in the carriageway, and I say that from experience. When did this positioning last 'save your bacon'? What are the other potential incidents that the "for example cover"? With respect, in this matter I think your extrapolation may be suspect.

You could konk out at any time you're in the offside lane, if you were overtaking something at the time that'd be more worrying than trying to get to the nearside on an empty road. It'd have to be a big konk to stop you so quickly you couldn't coast or hobble to the nearside.
Also the road curves to the left, so another reason for staying out to the right is that you get an earlier view of what's ahead and anything ahead sees you earlier too.

You could konk out at any time you're in the offside lane, if you were overtaking something at the time that'd be more worrying than trying to get to the nearside on an empty road. A) It'd have to be a big konk to stop you so quickly you couldn't coast or hobble to the nearside.
B) Also the road curves to the left, so another reason for staying out to the right is that you get an earlier view of what's ahead and anything ahead sees you earlier too.

A) Agreed, it's not likely to happen, but I've been driving for over 50 years and never had a blowout, so likewise, positioning for a potential blowout is flawed logic and doesn't justify centre lane hogging.

B) That's ok if speed and available view demand it; you don't necessarily need to be out there just because there's a bend, but you miss the point, my comment was in response to Rashman's, to wit, "But I'm not sitting in the 1st lane on an empty carriageway. I believe it far safe to sit in the middle lane so that you have an equal chance of evasive action to the left and right if anything should happen (blow-out, for example)", which to my mind is not valid.

You presumably then wouldn't have a problem with the object of the original post, i.e. the green car sitting in the right-hand lane for 3 miles if his reason was to extend his view and if his position didn't interfere with other traffic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom