Cause of tire problem ? Only rear right, I had to change it after 15000kms, do you know if the cause can be Spring rubbers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzw205

Car
Benz C-class W205
Hello, do you know what can be the reason why I had to change the rear right tire after 15000 kms ?

I read about spring rubbers ? is it the reason and is it expensive to fix ?

Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• benz w205 cclass rear tire problem.jpg
    benz w205 cclass rear tire problem.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 55
Spring rubbers may alter the ride height but not drastically. I don't believe that is your problem.
Have you had the suspension geometry checked? A full wheel geo check not just the front alignment

Spring rubbers may alter the ride height but not drastically. I don't believe that is your problem.
Have you had the suspension geometry checked? A full wheel geo check not just the front alignment

Thank you for your reply.

I never heard about full wheel geo check, is it something that any tire shop can do ?

are you sure that rear wheels can have an alignment problem ? I also didn't know.

Amazing @Petrol Pete

I didn't even know this was a thing. Something to be aware of and certainly looks more plausible for the original poster's issue.

looks like a rear spring has snapped and chewed the tyre ! Or rear alignment has gone a long way out (component failure) needs a good close visual inspection then up on a Hunter machine for a 4 wheel alignment.

View attachment 119197 View attachment 119198

Sorry but tire shop has checked and there is no problem with the spring.
So what could be the problem ?
Thanks again to all.

SOMETHING WAY OUT ON REAR SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT..the result being the car has essentially been running on the inside edge of the tyre instead of across the whole tread-running a low pressured underflated tyre might have the same effect-thats the problem with Mercedes clever rear suspension its so good at compensating that many cars can be driven with suspension problems/defective tyres without signaling to the driver things are going wrong till too late.

How is the tyre on the other side ? my guess is it's OK. This is not tyre wear (although that tyre is worn enough it be replaced now anyway) this is tyre 'damage' , a cut/abrasion/tread failure etc.

If nothing mechanical can be found the only answer is to fit a new set of rears get the alignment done and just drive, keeping a close (daily) eye on it.

I agree this looks like tyre damage and not wear. The wear across the remainder of the tyre looks pretty even. The damage area does look abraded or cut away.

How is the tyre on the other side ? my guess is it's OK. This is not tyre wear (although that tyre is worn enough it be replaced now anyway) this is tyre 'damage' , a cut/abrasion/tread failure etc.

If nothing mechanical can be found the only answer is to fit a new set of rears get the alignment done and just drive, keeping a close (daily) eye on it.

3 other tires have no problem.

it seems not possible to do any REAR alignment on a C-class w205, only front can be aligned.

The alignment can always be checked :)but may not be adjustable :( ---if its out it MEANS replacement of the offending suspension arm/bushes- the alignment measurement should indicate the offender. :mad:

Run under pressure/low psi

Thanks, but not the situation here, and I guess that someone must drive very long time with wrong PSI to destroy a tire like mine ?

That does not look like alignment or an inflation problem. It looks like something has been in contact with the tyre as it rotates and has ground the rubber away. I had a similar thing happen on a ride on mower and it was a piece of the mower body had been bent underneath just enough to rub on the tyre - cut a groove in it just like yours. It should be pretty obvious with the wheel mounted on the car and car jacked up - just rotate the wheel and see what is fouling the tyre. Surely the tyre place can see that - if they are talking about alignment then you need to go somewhere else. If you have only just bought the car maybe an unscrupulous seller swapped the wheel from another car.

That does not look like alignment or an inflation problem. It looks like something has been in contact with the tyre as it rotates and has ground the rubber away. I had a similar thing happen on a ride on mower and it was a piece of the mower body had been bent underneath just enough to rub on the tyre - cut a groove in it just like yours. It should be pretty obvious with the wheel mounted on the car and car jacked up - just rotate the wheel and see what is fouling the tyre. Surely the tyre place can see that - if they are talking about alignment then you need to go somewhere else. If you have only just bought the car maybe an unscrupulous seller swapped the wheel from another car.

Thank you !

Places where I have been did not tell me that it's alignment problem, it's only Internet experts who keep telling me this :)

There is nothing that could have hot the tire, and the only person I trust is telling me that the problem is the shocks rubbers that are getting old and must be replaced (but difficult job, need to remove shocks springs)

Well lots of ideas as to what has caused this,best get a new pair of rear tyres put on and check the tyre pressure and look at them every week,my feeling is it is a bad tyre,you can get them.it has done 15 grand so not a disaster,think with a new tyre the problem will just not be there anymore.

Well lots of ideas as to what has caused this,best get a new pair of rear tyres put on and check the tyre pressure and look at them every week,my feeling is it is a bad tyre,you can get them.it has done 15 grand so not a disaster,think with a new tyre the problem will just not be there anymore.

only 1 tire had problem, and of course I replaced it already. Tires are checked weekly since I got the car, so it's not the cause.

But still trying to find the cause as it seems nobody understands it.

OP, the rubbers that the springs rest in are unlikely to be the problem , and if they are they are actually quite easy to replace . Once the car has been jacked up and the road wheel removed it is simply 2 bolts (pivot and shock absorber) that need to be removed and the arm can be lowered under spring pressure with a trolley jack and replaced the same way.

Not saying it's an easy DIY job , but far from difficult .

You say "no one understands the problem...." Here is what I understand from the one photo you have posted . There is absolutely no way that the damage to that tyre is a result of wheel alignment (other than visible major component failure) . A solid object has rubbed on the tyre or it is a manufacturing fault (unlikely).

Thats how I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom