Caution. Potential 212 wiring problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Poking about under the drivers-side undertray I found this. It's the parking brake switch and associated wiring. There's not a lot of slack and it's been trapped under the adjusting steering column.

:eek: Nuff said!

M-B should be informed about that. Shocker.

That wire has always struck me as being tight (you have to unplug it when installing the extra fan system for COMAND as the input duct goes above it).

Looking at the wiring colours they are brown, so likely to be ground wires rather than any fire risk.

Richard

The damaged one is brown/black tracer so live feed to switch. t'other is the brown neutral.

Agreed about it being tight though. Very bad.

The damaged one is brown/black tracer so live feed to switch. t'other is the brown neutral.

Agreed about it being tight though. Very bad.

Actually, I just checked the circuit diagrams. Brown goes to ground, and thus the other is not live feed to switch it's a ground feed from switch to the front SAM when the switch is closed. (There will likely be a small pull-up resistor in the SAM so that the input is pulled up to 12v (at almost no current) until the switch is closed so the SAM can detect it.

This means it is not dangerous, but its still bad. I was surprised the wire wasn't much longer and routed behind dash and dropping down by the switch.

How did you notice ? Was some light (presumably foot-brake light) not coming on when you expected it ?

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom