Cautionary tale. After market exhaust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubyred

Car
2017 C Class AMG Line
Hi all. A while ago I posted that I was going to replace the two rear back box silencers on my 2017 C Class AMG line for a slightly more local setup. The work was going to be carried out by a company in north Oxfordshire using Powerflow silencers.
Before I committed to the swap I contacted the Mercedes warranty company, my car has said warranty and the chap there said if I did the swap on the silencers it may effect the engine and/or gearbox settings thus rendering the warranty invalid, so he strongly advised against the swap. I can’t see the problem myself, but I know some of these warranty/insurance companies will wriggle out of their obligation at the merest thing that’s not right.
So, swap will now not happen.Im posting this really for the guys that have altered their exhaust systems, resonator and crossover pipes etc.
Beware if you have to claim on your warranty!
Theres a bright side to this I suppose. With the money I’ve saved not doing the swap I’m going to have some stone chips repaired professionally, I HATE doing stone chips.
Hope this is useful.
Keith

Re new car warranty, the customers have their statutory rights, I.e. the car manufacturer cannot automatically reject a warranty claim just because of an unauthorised modification, unless they can reasonably demonstrate that the unauthorised modification may have caused the issue or made matters worse.

But when it comes to anything other that new car warranty - e.g. extended warranty, third party warranty, or conditions imposed by a finance provider - that's where the issue can become problematic for the consumer, because these agreements may simply have a clause that say that any unauthorised modifications invalidate the entire contract (something that car manufacturers cannot do with new car warranties).

Should of said, that my car was bought preowned from a Sytner Mercedes dealer and came with a years warranty. I intend to take out an extended warranty when that runs out.

As already said, if the company want to reject any warranty claim on the basis you've made modifications then the onus is on them to prove that your modifications may have had an effect on whatever you're claiming for.

As already said, if the company want to reject any warranty claim on the basis you've made modifications then the onus is on them to prove that your modifications may have had an effect on whatever you're claiming for.
As markjay says, depends on the warranty and it's clauses, which of course, everyone reads diligently..
But when it comes to anything other that new car warranty - e.g. extended warranty, third party warranty, or conditions imposed by a finance provider - that's where the issue can become problematic for the consumer, because these agreements may simply have a clause that say that any unauthorised modifications invalidate the entire contract (something that car manufacturers cannot do with new car warranties).

Let's face it, this is one of those questions that you know the answer to before even asking - of course they're going to say it's likely to be a problem. And once you've asked them, you're stuffed as you can't disregard their answer and just go ahead.

I haven’t read the warranty small print, but when I spoke to the warranty guy he said he had been ask about after market exhausts from other customers and the answer was the same for them.
But I know what your saying, they are just covering their bums and leaving the onus on me whether I want to deal with any future hassle regarding any claims on the warranty.
Will have a think but will most likely wait until I am no longer paying out for the warranty.
Just posted this to remind people not change things on their cars whilst under warranty without checking first.
Keith

I had the bizarre experience at the point of insurance renewal when I told the agent that I’d fitted a tracker......whooops, “but sir, I can’t find any authorisation on your file for that change”, I knew then that I may as well put the phone down but I didn’t.
A very heated 15 minutes later and after him agreeing to drop the £25 admin charge we were best mates!

You’ve got to persevere with this people haven’t you. I have a similar fight with my car insurance broker each year, them wanting to charge me £35 for admin. We usually end up compromising. But this year surprise, surprise, they only charged me £10, without me arguing.

Know then that if the engine management system detects any operating condition outside specific limits
caused by eg. trim-boxes for higher output power or similar, it will set hidden diagnostic error codes
that can only be retrieived by Xentry using special commands/passwords.

Thanks Uky, it’s good to know all about these code issues.
These Mercedes are complex motors aren’t they.

Re new car warranty, the customers have their statutory rights, I.e. the car manufacturer cannot automatically reject a warranty claim just because of an unauthorised modification, unless they can reasonably demonstrate that the unauthorised modification may have caused the issue or made matters worse.
Thats not one I`d like to test in court ,modifying anything that has potential to make the car run differently be it better or worse would be the car manufacturers get out of jail free card.

I had the bizarre experience at the point of insurance renewal when I told the agent that I’d fitted a tracker......whooops, “but sir, I can’t find any authorisation on your file for that change”, I knew then that I may as well put the phone down but I didn’t.
A very heated 15 minutes later and after him agreeing to drop the £25 admin charge we were best mates!

You’ve got to persevere with this people haven’t you. I have a similar fight with my car insurance broker each year, them wanting to charge me £35 for admin. We usually end up compromising. But this year surprise, surprise, they only charged me £10, without me arguing.
A tracker isn't a modification, so fail to see why they would think you should seek authorisation from them.
Do you really need a insurance broker?
I normally just go on the comparison sites.

The cover provided by the insurer, and the warranty provided by the car's manufacturer, are two different things.

The fact that a mod has been declared to the insurer will not help the customer if the manufacturer rejects a warranty claim.

And the fact that the car manufacturer has 'approved' a mod (e.g. dealer-retrofitted options) does not mean that your insurance cover might nor be invalidated.

Each has their own T&Cs that needs to be adhered to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom