Cayman vs SLK55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
Just a quick update, some of you may have seen I changed the SLK55 for a Cayman. I did not get on well with the Cayman. It drove great but was noisy and harsh inside, very much more 'sports' orientated and I preferred the more luxury sports car Mercedes approach, it was also light on options had a rubbish stereo and generally did not make me feel as good as the SLK55 does.

Anyway, as I bought the Cayman online, unseen and with no test drive, I have 'undone' the deal and now have the SLK55 back less the cost of transporting the cars around so back in the fold!

I'm in for a couple of discs replaced in my next week so will hold on to the SLK55 possibly looking for a GLC43 later on as I'm running a 2003 ML320 as well!

I toyed with the idea of a Boxster or Cayman. I chose the SLK55 because you get so much more bang for your bucks and with an under stressed engine that means one less thing to worry about.

It's interesting to read your perspective because I do wonder whether I'm missing something in the Porsche's better handling and more responsive steer/gearshift.

At the end of the day, most my time in the car will not be pushing on in a spirited drive and the SLK55 does feel special even when just going slowly with the V8 rumble.

I got the silencer removed to add to the drama. You can't tell the difference in normal driving in traffic, it's only when you stamp on the loud pedal then it roars. So I'm happy.

Having owned a 968 for 20 years, I cannot understand anyone going for a Cayman instead of it's spiritual predecessor the 968. For a start, why buy a depreciating asset instead of an appreciating one - I made a nice profit on my 968 cab despite PX'ing it rather than selling privately.

OK, it's a different drive to the SLK280 - the Porsche is far more a driver's car, especially when you push it - the road holding is epic, there were quite a few times I started a corner with trousers about to get very brown, and exited the corner wondering just how the hell she'd come through so well - and with trousers still their original colour!

The SLK280 is a different experience, I am not as confident of the road holding - but then although not quite Miss Daisy I'm not looking for track car experience these days. Given a chance I'd have gone for a bigger engine, but SWMBO put the kibosh on that when I was looking - but I'm happy with the 3l V6!!

comparing a Cayman with an SLK55 is like comparing a sprinter with shot putter

Glad you're happy! In the next couple of years, when I can recover from the financial hit of Covid, I'm on the hunt for a 987 Cayman S!

Just a quick update, some of you may have seen I changed the SLK55 for a Cayman. I did not get on well with the Cayman. It drove great but was noisy and harsh inside, very much more 'sports' orientated and I preferred the more luxury sports car Mercedes approach, it was also light on options had a rubbish stereo and generally did not make me feel as good as the SLK55 does.

Anyway, as I bought the Cayman online, unseen and with no test drive, I have 'undone' the deal and now have the SLK55 back less the cost of transporting the cars around so back in the fold!

I'm in for a couple of discs replaced in my next week so will hold on to the SLK55 possibly looking for a GLC43 later on as I'm running a 2003 ML320 as well!
Hi brand new member here do you still have the 55 for sale? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom