CB Radio with 100W burner attached

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
I am a bit rusty with ohms law. In the process of fitting a 100 watt burner to my CB antenna.

How much current will I draw from 12 volts and what is the best amp size in line fuse to fit ?

Correct.
icon14.gif

This may be a daft question, but does anyone use a CB these days?? :confused: is there anyone left to talk to?.
Twenty years ago I was really into them,
but a CB in a merc.. really, what would the neighbours say :D

ohh that brings back memories...mag mounts, my first car with a quarter wave antenna? anyway big ariel drilled into the boot of my datsun cherry... then there was convoy.. Chris Christophesen?? smokey and the bandit... SWR meters...channel 19 for truckers, (14 for cars, I think).
I once talked to a guy in Italy on sidebands, chuffed to bits, lasted all of 10 seconds:rolleyes:
Chatted up this lovely young lady one night on the CB, then went round her gaff (her boyfriend never caught me:D )

Last edited:
This may be a daft question, but does anyone use a CB these days?? :confused: is there anyone left to talk to?.
Twenty years ago I was really into them,
but a CB in a merc.. really, what would the neighbours say :D
Yes I do. I don't come accoss many cars but about 50% of truckers seem to have them fitted.

Currently using a President Walker/ switchable between legal FM and European am. Most people break on FM.

I find it very usefull M74 and M6. You also get shouts on where the Vosa speed camera vans are set up. There are also a lot of base stations pumping out 100+watts. Some serious people and some total idiots who play music on 19 etc. Glasgow is really bad for this and no doubt other cities.

I feel a bit bare when I dont have it connected, especially on my weekly commute runs. I couldn't go without it now.

The new generation radios are about a third the size of the older ones and very sharp, and I can transmit 20 miles easily in some cases, depending on terrain.

Have the radio fitted passenger side centre consul with a Sirio 4000, 145 mag mount on the boot.

It's also easily disconnected, which I do when not in use. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

I don't worry about the neighbours or anyone else.

Last edited:
Back when i was a teenager i had a CB at home , large illegal aerial in the loft with a huge groundplane , i fitted a 100w burner and all the neighbours heard me over their TV's:):):)

Also had a CB in my Capri back in the 80's but the mag mount would fall off , if you could have one without the massive aerial i would have one again used to be fun .

Still look to be about 1m long

Still look to be about 1m long
Mine is 0ver 2 metres long ! with a huge base load (the antenna that is)

When I am on the motorway doing 60-70, some speeding cars behind me slam on the anchors, they think I am an unmarked car !!:D

Attachments

• Sirio.jpg
    Sirio.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
your car must look like a drawing pin:)

CB transmitting frequencies is 27Mhz and a full wave at that frequency is roughly 10m so a full wave antenae should be 10m long ish. To shorten this for car use, they put a coil in the bottom and a whip on top, but overall the coil and whip will be, as someone has said, a multiple of 10m or division x2, 5m, 2.5m ish etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom