CBT on Saturday - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Finally got round to booking my CBT test on Saturday :bannana::bannana:

Any advise for a complete motocycle noob?

Dont fall off and you'll be ok.

Remember its not a test its training.

Im expecting it to be mainly training, but they said on the site that if you didnt pass the required standard you wouldnt get the certificate, so I guess it is a sort of test of ability, if not the full on test for >125cc bikes.

It would be very ebbarrasing if I dont get the certificate as Ill no doubt be surrounded by young spotty herberts whizzing around like Evil Knievel.

I did this years ago, as long as you can ride round some cones using the correct Looks then they will take you on the road and give you the papers.

My wife has just taken her CBT as a complete novice.

Its mostly training around cones with maybe a couple of hours roadwork.

You'll learn heaps and have a fun day to boot.

I can only echo what the others have said, and wish you the best of luck, and safe riding for the future.
Let us know how you get on.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.. :D

Seriously - I am sure all will be well ..

Attachments

• CBT.PNG
    CBT.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 134
I think it is one of the most scariest elements of the motorcycle licencing system that they allow people on the road after CBT - it is absolutely inadequate for youngsters (U17) and barely adquate for those who have a car licence.

I think it is one of the most scariest elements of the motorcycle licencing system that they allow people on the road after CBT - it is absolutely inadequate for youngsters (U17) and barely adquate for those who have a car licence.

Not if you go to a good school, and it is done properly with no corners cut.
In my 20 years in Motorcycle Training I have discovered a real difference in Training Standards.
I would always recommend not buying a course over the telephone, go and take a look at a few schools. You will soon see what I mean by doing a little homework (read legwork).

Good luck and enjoy the day. Remember you can always book extra training after CBT.

I agree, the CBT is often very good now. There's a lot more technical tuition than is required for a full car license in my mind and my experience of the instructors around here is very positive.

Certainly, there's a lot more to learn and some centres may do a better job than others but its very good grounding if done correctly.

Your comments probably valid for the 16-20 year old lads though. All that testosterone coupled with zero fear is a dangerous coctail that no amount of training will cure entirely.

My wife did her CBT the other day and I was quite impressed with what she came back with. I've since bought a couple of bike to bike radio's and have been going out with her as often as possible trying to reinforce what she has already been told. I wish I bought bike to bike radios before, it opens up a whole new dimension to motorcycling. :bannana:

Last edited:
just enjoy it mate, its great fun, then go get your direct access course booked up, i done mine a few years back now, and still to this day say to my other half, i wanna do it again, as i had 3 surperb days, i loved it even though it was pi+~ing down with rain, good luck mate i'm sure you will have no problem, cheers, Guy...

Good luck with the CBT Crammy. I did mine in about 1998 by Catford Stadium and found it to be a great day. Did my direct access near you around Foots Cray. A couple of friends of our instructor started riding alongside us on our first day out on the 500's and started pulling wheelies which I didn't think was too clever but I did enjoy the experience as a whole. As mercguy230 said, I would gladly do it all again so try and enjoy it :)

Good luck with the CBT Crammy. I did mine in about 1998 by Catford Stadium and found it to be a great day. Did my direct access near you around Foots Cray. A couple of friends of our instructor started riding alongside us on our first day out on the 500's and started pulling wheelies which I didn't think was too clever but I did enjoy the experience as a whole. As mercguy230 said, I would gladly do it all again so try and enjoy it :)

Exactly what I mean......Totally unprofessional! Choose your school wisely!

I wish I bought bike to bike radios before, it opens up a whole new dimension to motorcycling. :bannana:
Most of my riding is touring and I started using bike-to-bike radios about 15 years ago. I totally agree with that statement and now absolutely hate riding without a rider/passenger intercom and bike-to-bike radio.

BTW, if you start using comm's on bikes regularly I wholeheartedly recommend these. Far from cheap, but you only get one set of eardrums :thumb:

Finally got round to booking my CBT test on Saturday :bannana::bannana:

Any advise for a complete motocycle noob?

I think that you can't do wrong if you watch the Top Gear / Vietnam special, where the lads took the Vietnamese bike test.

Just take careful note of what they did.... then do the exact opposite!

Hope it all went wel today.
How did you do?

Well the good news is that I passed!:bannana:, but only just, and to be honest given my on road performance I wouldnt let me out on a main road on my own. :eek:

I didnt expect riding a bike to be easy, but it was harder than I thought and I feel I needed far more practise in a large car park before hitting the road.

I didnt get on particularly well with the instructor who was a bit quick with the sarky comments, which werent always easy to understand given he had a roll up stuck in his gob for most of the day. Also he had the bare faced cheek to get shirty with me when I informed him that the bikes speedo didnt work! (the bike was his riding school's) and he didnt end the road bit to get another bike:mad:, I just had to soldier on. Also he had the bare faced cheek to tell me off for going too slowly, which was rich as we were going down a road that had 3 speed cameras in it :rolleyes:. I have never had points and dont want any now after 23 years clean driving, and when your new to being on a bike its not easy to judge the speed with no speedo! with all the extra wind noise an squeeking bits on the deathtrap bike :(

Still, chalk it up as an experience ;), I shall get a cheap bike to practise on and find a decent instructor for a day or mores 1 to 1 instruction :D.

Have to say that it felt really lovely driving the Merc home after the test, bikes are great and all, but cars are loads comfier:D

Once you have your new bike and have a few weeks experience under your belt, I would recommend Bikesafe - a 1 day training course done my the Police. They also do one called Scootersafe. In SE London, it is done from Hayes in Kent.

For £30 all in, there is no better value course. (It is heavily subsidised byTfL)

Well the good news is that I passed!:bannana:, but only just, and to be honest given my on road performance I wouldnt let me out on a main road on my own. :eek:

I didnt expect riding a bike to be easy, but it was harder than I thought and I feel I needed far more practise in a large car park before hitting the road.
Congratulations on the pass and really sorry to hear you had to suffer a less than professional instructor with poorly maintained equipment. Please don't let that idiot put you off.

Riding bikes is a lot harder than most people think and riding them well on the road is even harder, but with an open mind, lots of practice and good tuition to get you pointed in the right direction you'll develop the skills you need to really enjoy motorcycling safely. Have fun :thumb:

Well done.

It's never easy going back to school and being told what to do, at least you made it to the end :)

You might want to watch a few advanced bike riding videos on YouTube: AdvancedBiker has a few good ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom