Cclass Advanced Agility Package- the low down.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grober, Sep 10, 2011.

1. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Post really a question on the latest C class ADVANCED AGILITY PACKAGE. There's very little real world info out there about the effectiveness of this extra cost technology. [ £500] Many people are confused about Mercedes terminology in this area- I am not referring to the standard fit AGILITY CONTROL SUSPENSION which uses passive inertial hydraulic valve control to alter damper characteristics "on the fly" but to the more complex ADVANCED AGILITY PACKAGE which uses continuously variable electronic control of damper valving to alter individual damper characteristics. This package is further complicated by integration of its sensor data to alter steering and transmission characteristics also . It appears to use data from 7 onboard sensors [ accelerometers?] to continuously control damper valving but its very hard to get any hard engineering information on the system. Who makes the system components [ e.g the variable shockers] for example? Is it similar [ the same?] to the VAG system ACC [adaptive chassis control] found in the latest Passat and Passat CC which I know from experience works extremely well. It would be great to hear of real world experience of the system from C class owners or any links to a comprehensive engineering description. This is the best I have come up with so far - and it isn't much. eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

2. Fuji

Fuji Member

Car:
    C250 CDI AMG ED125 Coupe
    The technology is supplied by Tenneco and built in Spain. Source : Press Release.

I am not sure which version is in the C-Class, although I would assume it is their Kinetic H2 CES system. This system is also used on the MP4-12C.

The PDF link is broken on their site, but here's another one showing some technical details : PDF

I test drove it in a W204 Coupe and have specified it on my order. Sport mode is not as heavily damped as the Magnetic Ride technology I have in my current car, but seems to do the job well enough - and IMO the normal driving mode is better than the standard sports setup in the W204 Coupe.

Advanced Agility also alters the gearbox characteristics, and the throttle and steering response in Sport mode. Well worth £500 for what you get.

3. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Excellent post Fuji-- just the sort of technical detail sadly lacking on any of MB's own websites. :thumb:

4. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Found this PDF on a similar system. Its Volvo's CONTINUOUSLY CONTROLLED CHASSIS CONCEPT found in their R class models probably shares quite a bit of the technology. http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Four-C.pdf It would appear that VW use a very similar system in their PASSAT cars [ adaptive chassis control] built by the same company.

5. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  6. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    1 person likes this.
  7. Fuji

Fuji Member

Car:
    C250 CDI AMG ED125 Coupe
  8. prprandall51

prprandall51 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi
    Looks like you already have plenty of info. MB also uses adaptive dampers in Airmatic-equipped E and S class cars - there is a reasonably detailed description on how the adaptive dampers work within the Airmatic setup on the relevant E and S web pages.

9. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/w204/en/overview/bedieneinheitmk.html

Yep got most of the technical info after I posted the original question- Thought I would share for anyone interested. :dk: Fugi's link to the TENNECO site was an excellent lead. :thumb: The Mercedes system seems to differ from VW 's in that it only has 2 settings-- normal and sport--- rather than 3. It would be interesting to hear of other MB owners real world experience with this technology if fitted to their car???

e.g. The firmer setting of the suspension tuning in sports mode ensures even better contact with the road. Select this mode when employing a sporty driving style, e.g. on winding country roads. Your selection remains stored until you switch off the engine. To activate the sports tuning, press button 2 until indicator lamp 1 lights up. In comfort mode, the driving characteristics of your vehicle are more comfortable. Select this mode if you prefer a more comfortable driving style. To activate comfort tuning, press button 2 until indicator lamp 1 goes out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. timskemp

timskemp MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    Pretty simply, if you're ordering a sport, tick the box.

My experience of the W204 suspension is this.

Comfort (elegance / classic or sport with the comfort option ticked) - perfectly damped but soft, doesn't wallow but can roll somewhat.

Sport (sport models) - again, perfectly damped but over firm, like a 3 series on M sport springs, or an Audi with sportline (maybe slightly less harsh than the audi). Wife complains she can't text while I'm driving in town.

Switchable. The sport mode is slightly firmer than the sport suspension, and is very confidence inspiring, in fact you tend to drive quite hard in order to load it up and make it feel right. Add to that the faster gearchanges and heavier steering feel and it really feels connected to the road in a way they normally don't. Standard mode backs the damping off a little too much and the car can oscillate a bit especially pitch and dive, but is settled at speed and much smoother on urban roads.

The changed throttle response is good too.

3 people like this.
  11. ROBB71

ROBB71 New Member

Car:
    E Class Coupe 350CDI
    I've got the system on the e-class coupe. Was a little sceptical at first but now I have experienced it I would say well worth the money.

I would echo the comments above re the various settings but the difference it makes to the car is subtle but significant.

I would definately tick the box again.

1 person likes this.