CCTV Surveilance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Hi Chaps and Chappesses

I woke up at 11pm Friday night, rock and roll I know an early night, we have small kids so you get your sleep while you can!

Anyway to see a group of kids kicking in the back light of my car giving the wing mirror a tug and then going up and over the roof of the neighbours cars they were moving at a fast walking pace so it was like watching a wirlwind of destruction. Typical Police say very sorry not much they can do.

This is the 4th time and everytime I have said I am going to put a CCTV camerea up so at least we have something recorded.

Long story but I have just found out that my Synology Home server has a surveilance facility that will record from a IP camera, so looking on the internet its a minefield I need a camera that will work well at night with arange of about 10m to where the car is parked in the street over night and then want the image to be as clear as posssible to be of some use to the police otherwise there isnt alot of point other than for me to watch my own car be vadalised over and over again.

Just wondered whether any of the members have installed cameras and what their experiences have been and if any makes of IP cameras are sensible prices when compared to quality.

Bit off topic but we all need to protect our cars and property from an ever increasing issue with moraless kids.

Thanks

Hello

I'm looking for a waterprrof iP cam currently for use in our garden with a play area we are building, however I'm sure the same would work for you, you just need one that works well in low light.

I would fit a security light also and place a sign CCTV in operation..

I used a wired cam, connected to a VCR in my forst house to look over my car at the front of my house. It worked very very well in low light?

If thats of any interest I did have it for sale in the for sale secition. I can vouch the night picture very good but its wired..

I've been looking on this site for an IP cam, also ebay has one for around £40.... says works well at nght?

Waterproof IP Camera with Night Vision + Email Alert + Motion Detection - US$ 76.62

Thatnks for that I really want an IP type camera as I already have that facility in my server, the IP camera link looks good and reasonable price wise. Reviews look ok too.

I guess its a buy it and try and see if it does the job, the car is parked under a street lamp not sure if that helps or hinders infra red cameras and low light working.

Doesnt say what make it is

Buy a baseball bat. Make kicking in your car the last mistake these kids will make.

CCTV won't save your car. Soon it could be your house, the UK seems to have an endemic of feral thugs.

Or buy a big dog and be going for a walk and accidentally let it off it's leash when you see said yobs in the area.

Last edited:
Buy a baseball bat. Make kicking in your car the last mistake these kids will make.

And that would be the first mistake that he makes as he leaves himself open to a wide range of assault charges.

No matter how aggrieved you may feel you must remember that the same authorities that do little if anything to protect him and his property will come down on him like a tonne of bricks if he takes your advice and tries to take the law into his own hands.

He'd then have with a criminal record and possibly a jail sentence to add to his damaged car - a real lose-lose situation.

Scott_F said:
And that would be the first mistake that he makes as he leaves himself open to a wide range of assault charges.

No matter how aggrieved you may feel you must remember that the same authorities that do little if anything to protect him and his property will come down on him like a tonne of bricks if he takes your advice and tries to take the law into his own hands.

He'd then have with a criminal record and possibly a jail sentence to add to his damaged car - a real lose-lose situation.

It was a toungue and cheek post and one made to spark debate.

However CCTV will do nothing. These yobs will wear hoodies etc. either park the car elsewhere during the night or if your feeling brave make your presence felt to move the tikes on.

I'm going to veer off topic, sorry Chris..

After getting my jaw broken while trying (without violence) to stop a gang of idiots trashing a local off-licence, and more importantly, terrifying the ageing woman behind the counter, the Police contacted me to say they had arrested the ringleading culprit and his idiot crew.

Would I like to pursue the matter? No thanks, not worth it. A couple of subtle 'enquiries' subsequently revealed names etc...

Now, I've never been scraped up and down the wall of an old stone building face-first, but I'd guess it would teach me a lesson. It may have done him. It may not have done. I don't give a monkey's.

Incidentally, it was quite a few years ago. I don't condone violence, am a placid guy, no convictions, not even an SP30, and am far from being a nut case. Would I handle things differently now? Probably, as a bit older and wiser to the consequences, but regrets? Je ne regrette rien.

Sorry, not in the least helpful, I realise, and dont know anything about cameras Chris, but hope you find a solution.

Truth is, CCTV cameras don't work well at night unless the scrote stands a couple of feet from it. If that happens he's probably pinching the camera. Most night time cameras work on IR LEDs which glow red giving a slight deterrent, maybe.

Truth is, CCTV cameras don't work well at night unless the scrote stands a couple of feet from it. If that happens he's probably pinching the camera. Most night time cameras work on IR LEDs which glow red giving a slight deterrent, maybe.

A big angry German shepherd however just needs the door opened and let out to play and make new friends

If the vandalism follows a pattern (ie closing time on a Friday) I would have thought the police could be encouraged to stake your place out to catch them in the act.

If you are not already a member, I would recommend joining a Neighbourhood Watch which does produce results, especially in getting the police to take action in your type of case.

Sorry just catching up, im 6ft2 18 stone but no car is worth a criminal record or leaving my kids with a dead or disabled father.

But they are so blatent and it was just 11pm!! not even late.

We are applying for off street parking in the hope that that helps I dont know of any other car in the area that was damaged when not parked in the street.

It would be good to get a fae shot and then you tube it! via the police. As you say some of them have hoodies some didnt. they just were moving so fast I didnt even have time to think.

I also have a 5 st labrador that doesnt want a german shepard brother and the lab is great sounds scary so long as you dont see him.

You can spend £100's on a camera even £1000's but just want one that will work reasonably well and act as a deterent.

Dont mind the thread being hijacked, dont give these guys the satisfaction of seeing another innocent man assaulted protecting his property, get the police involved they will take notice.

Hi Chris, sorry to hear of your problems, my wifes rear windscreen wiper was yanked off her car, thankfuly no real damage done. It was at similar times and circumstances as you, the only differance was that it was on my drive. Since then we reverse our cars on to the drive and I have fitted a security light which seems to have worked. I don't think ours was as persistant as your situation. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Tanz

I'm not sure and could be completely wrong but aren't there rules about what can be recorded on CCTV ie. you can video things within your boundary but not the public street outside it?:dk:

You can video in a public place - anyone that says otherwise is misinformed.

You can video in a public place - anyone that says otherwise is misinformed.

Perfectly true where a householder has installed a system to protect his own home. Can also include adjacent public right of ways.

However, a business has to be registered to comply with the data protection act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom