CD Changer or Becker Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnEclass

Car
S6/Q5/C300/S4/W209/W211
Hi All,

I have a 6 CD changer in the glove box, hardly ever use it, so seriously considering a Becker Map Pilot to replace it.

It terms of desirability do you think the car is better with a CD changer or a Map pilot?

I've read lots on here regarding the garmin / tom tom units being better sat navs, I have Garmin on my iphone, but the integration with car and no holders stuck to the windscreen appeals.

Next question....how would i find out if the map pilot is a straight swap for the CD unit? in terms of fit / wiring?

Cheers :thumb:

My B Class has the fittings already installed. The Becker 'lump' is smaller and thinner than a CD Player. They are about 3" square and about 3/4" thick.

You may need a proper auto-electrician to fit it I suspect... dunno how well 'intergrated' your vehicle is.
I'd stick with adding a good garmin/tomtom and concentrate on making a tidy job of the power cable. It must be possible to add the power in before the big ugly cigarette lighter socket and routing it tidily into the dash?

How many more years will you be keeping this one? It might have more value with a working 6 CD changer AND a satnav.

P.

The Becker Map Pilot is designed to integrate= plug into into the electronic systems/display of the later C,E, A and B class models and they are prewired for same. It will not fit in a CLK sorry.

Your car is too old to support Becker Map Pilot, or even the hard disk (good) Comand NTG2.5.

This is because it was 'end of life' before Merc started putting NTG2.5 into the cars and it is a different shape dashboard hole to all other Mercs.

So, your "genuine mercedes" satnav answer is Comand APS NTG2 for the W209 CLK.

But, this is quite an old system, and does not support 7 digit post-codes. It is a good accurate system and maps are regularly updated still.

Kind Regards

Richard

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'll stick with Garmin on iPhone until I upgrade to E350 CDI Coupe......:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom