CD Changer Packed Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
The CD changer on my 2001 CLK is no longer loading discs. The magazine ejects ok and the discs all seem tickety boo, but the COMAND screen just reports the magazine is loading.

Over the weekend with some wiggling, friendly slaps and choice language I was able to get it to play again, but each new journey sees it return to its non working state.

I suppose these things have a limited life and 7 or 8 years isn't bad, but still annoying.

MB are quoting me around £300 for replacing the changer. I've seen them on eBay for around £130 but the chance of them being iffy is very high.

Does anyone know of a reputable company that repairs/replaces these things without denting my wallet? Judging by the green eject button the CD changer itself looks like like it was made by Alpine.

The CD changer on my 2001 CLK is no longer loading discs. The magazine ejects ok and the discs all seem tickety boo, but the COMAND screen just reports the magazine is loading.

Over the weekend with some wiggling, friendly slaps and choice language I was able to get it to play again, but each new journey sees it return to its non working state.

I suppose these things have a limited life and 7 or 8 years isn't bad, but still annoying.

MB are quoting me around £300 for replacing the changer. I've seen them on eBay for around £130 but the chance of them being iffy is very high.

Does anyone know of a reputable company that repairs/replaces these things without denting my wallet? Judging by the green eject button the CD changer itself looks like like it was made by Alpine.
My ebay one was very iffy

I have a kenwood head unit and kenwood 10 cd changer bought it a while
ago with fixtures and fittings, and all cables and instruction manuals.
I was going to fit it in a C class but I bought an E class with one allready
fitted, if you are interested I will try to get it checked out at a local car
stereo fitters, then you can make me an offer if you wish, as I say it is just sat there doing nothing. PM me if you interested

Have you thought about checking/changing the CD cartridge only first? There's nothing much to them, but you never know - it might be a quick fix

Let me know the part number, description etc as I have one that might be of interest. It's a Pioneer CDX P25 6 CD changer. Was in the car when i got it with the merc head unit so assume its standard?

I know its working perfectly, as i took it out to put my install in early last year, so let me know if it matches yours.

Your changer is made by Alpine for MB.

Sadly you are stuck with an MB/Alpine one as it uses the fibre optic connection to your comand. Any other make simply wont work unless you fancy a change of headunit. The good news though is that any of the D2B fibre optic ones from MB will work so you could get one from a W203, W163 or a W209:)

I recently got a Comand off of Ebay which came with a CD changer (Part Number A203 820 90 89) . As I already have a changer you welcome to have the extra one . PM me if you wish.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom