Cd Player Audio 10 not playing CD-R's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hi all,

im hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an ongoing issue im experiencing. i have an E220 (2002 - previous model to new) which has the factory head unit installed - Audio 10. However, its always rejecting most of any CD-R's i insert into the unit. it plays certain model CD-R's but even now its rejecting any new ones i burn on to that model - previous ones still play.

i have read in previous threads that its probably the laser on the unit or the firmware requires updating. The unit plays original cds fine so im assuming the laser is ok which leaves me to the conclusion that the firware requires updating.

Firstly just want to know if any of you folks have had similar issues and what was the solution and secondly how easy is it updating the firmware - is this a main dealer procedure? the only other options i have is replacing the unit or installing a cd changer - which even be a risk of it still occuring.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I had the same problem with my Audio 10. I eventually found a brand of CD that worked, as long as the disc was burnt at 1x or 2x. I could not use CD RW at all.

many thanks for your reply. if you dont mind me asking - what was the brand you make/model of these cds

As far as I can remember (I've upgraded to an Audio 30 APS with Neo 35 MP3 player) I used Memorex CDs.

Had the same problem. Audio 10 is intolerant of home-made CDs. CD-Rs played OK for a while but were then rejected while original CDs play fine. I found that by using a name brand (Sony in my case) rather than cheapo blanks, and by burning with Nero at a speed of no more than 2x, they work OK, with only the occasional skip.

Other things worth noting:
- Make sure Nero finalises the disk.
- CR-RWs don't work at all.
- Use a lens cleaner CD regularly.

There is no firmware upgrade for Audio 10 headunits.

Your other option I suppose is the Dension Ice>Link.

Beezer - thanks for the info - much appreciated. as may of already experienced, i have spent over £100 just on blank cds with no success - would you be able to recoomend the type of sony cds you used and also the link to your recommendation (dension)

I had an original cd that worked ok in my pc, but wouldn't work in my Audio 10.
Made a copy (for my own use), using Nero, he copy works ok in Audio 10. Spooky Muldeur!. P.S. Burn Media is a good site for blank disc's etc :bannana: :bannana:

Mark - your totally right. Packard Bell Cds work a dream on my audio 10. However, from what i have seen - dixons/currys/pc world have stopped stocking this brand although packard bell is their own brand - life can never be simple !!!

ok people - i think im at the suicidal stage - i have spent pointless amount of time and money on fixing this issue with no success. i think the simple solution would be to upgrade. please could someone recommend a the obvious upgrade unit from the audio 10 which would allow me to play cd-r - not sure if the new audio 30 is a possibility? all feedback would be appreciated.

newbie said:
Beezer - thanks for the info - much appreciated. as may of already experienced, i have spent over £100 just on blank cds with no success - would you be able to recoomend the type of sony cds you used and also the link to your recommendation (dension)

I use Sony CD-R 700MB 80min. They come in green packs (10's with cases or 30 & 100 packs on spindle). They're not hard to find on the high street but I get mine from Dabs. But I'll give the Packard Bells a go as well if I can find any.

Re the Ice>Link, the cheapest kit I've found online is £185 from http://www.incarelectrics.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&P_ID=699&numLanguageID=1
Getting the kit is the easy bit. Finding an ICE installer who understands the kit and is happy to work with Merc fibre optics is the hard bit. You wouldn't believe some of the responses I've had:
"It can't be done mate. Yeah I know the kit's on sale but it's not possible to connect an iPod to an Audio 10" :mad:
"Merc fibre optics? Won't touch 'em any more" :(
"Not done one before, but I'm sure I can figure it out" :eek:

CD-R Update:

The Packard Bell CD-Rs which are reported to work well with the Audio 10 seem to be unavailable, except perhaps on eBay. However, they were manufactured by Ritek Corporation [www.cdr-forum.de/detailcdr_e.php?ID=1454] who also make CD-Rs for Philips, Memorex and others.[www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_factories.shtml]

The following are idential to the Packard Bell 32x Data CD-R:
Philips CD-R xQ Audio 80
Philips CD-R Q Audio 80
Memorex CD-R 80
Philips CD-R Silverspeed 74
Octron CD-R 80 (sold by Lidl?)
PrimeDisc CD-R 80
PrimeDisc CD-R 80 Supreme
TDK CD-R80CMEB
Maxell CD-R
Traxdata TXS5280
Traxdata TXS5280JC

Last edited:
Ritek are well known for their top quality dyes in the DVD world. I'd also recommend anything by Mitsui for CD-R.

Are you using 74 minute discs or 80+ minute discs?

Audio 10 and CD-Rs - again

As they say, what goes around comes around !

The answers to all the points made so far in this thread can be found on this forum about 2 or 3 months ago.

Basically :

1. Audio 10s can be either Becker or Alpine. Alpine definitely won't play CD-R - it's built that way according to Alpine. Becker units may do, I don't know.

2. If you want to use CD-Rs reliably, you must make them using proper audio blanks and a CD duplicator, not a computer, ie an audio or HiFi duplicator.

If anyone wants a how to, leave me a PM.

Geoffd

geoffd said:
As they say, what goes around comes around !

The answers to all the points made so far in this thread can be found on this forum about 2 or 3 months ago.

Basically :

1. Audio 10s can be either Becker or Alpine. Alpine definitely won't play CD-R - it's built that way according to Alpine. Becker units may do, I don't know.

2. If you want to use CD-Rs reliably, you must make them using proper audio blanks and a CD duplicator, not a computer, ie an audio or HiFi duplicator.

If anyone wants a how to, leave me a PM.

Geoffd

With all due respect, Geoff, you didn't say that in September. You said Audio 10s could not play data CD-Rs burned on a PC. Happily, they can! :D

nooooo , not micro direct .. took 4 weeks to get a refund for something they didnt even ship but claimed the did !!

worth a watching !!

admittedly they are a pain on refunds even when you can visit the shop but the Datawrite cd's coan be bought from most places, I have one in the car at the moment and has been playing fine with no skipping

beezer60 said:
With all due respect, Geoff, you didn't say that in September. You said Audio 10s could not play data CD-Rs burned on a PC. Happily, they can! :D

Yes, I did say that - more or less - that's what both Becker and Alpine had told me, ie that to play CDs their player needed to see the codes representing an audio CD. And PC burners can't add these codes to a disc - as far as copies are concerned, they are only present on proper audio blanks - the ones you have to pay the copyright charge on - and not on the mass market data CDs you can buy for pennies apeice. So according to Becker and Alpine, a copy made using a computer and a data CD shouldn't play - and in fact won't on my Alpine Audio 10. I've tried about six or seven different types and qualities of disk and none have worked. I don't have a Becker unit to try it with, but it may be that those who have made working copies using a computer are playing them on Becker units. Also note that computer CD burners won't write to proper audio blanks - or at least none of the ones I've tried will. To write to audio blanks you need to use an audio/HiFi CD duplicator/writer. I use a Sony RCD-W3 CD recorder and TDK CD-RXG Consumer Audio Recordable blanks - with 100% reliablity.

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom