CD player not playing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

944S2cab

Car
1999 W220 S430
The CD changer on my newly-acquired W220 (1999) will not play CD's. It is a Mercedes CD changer. I am getting a message that there are no CD's in the magazine even when it is full with 6 discs. The radio works normally. I do not have sat-nav.

I have searched this forum and other Mercedes forums. I found a few suggestions but none were successful.

I have taken the CD changer out of the car and taken the cover off. There are no obvious mechanical problems. The black plastic arm is free to touch each microswitch. I have reconnected the unit and watched the moving parts. No parts are sticking. When I push the magazine in, the unit loads each disc in turn but it will only spin one disc for a few seconds before stopping. ( I can't remember if that was the first or last disc). I did once manage to get a few seconds of sound from a head cleaning CD but that was all. Occasionally the display altered to "CD1" and I was able to alter the display to "track 2, 3 etc" but there was still no sound.

I have detached the ribbon at one end and cleaned it with PCB cleaner. It did not need it - it was shiny. I have tried it with one disc and a full 6. That makes no difference. The car has hardly been used for the last few years. I have had the CD changer indoors for a few days in case it was damp.

It seems like the CD changer does not recognize that there are CD's in the magazine.

I have run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds as if the transport isn’t detecting a disc at all, so highly likely the laser diode has failed. Assuming the parts are available, it isn’t that hard a job for someone in the trade (I used to change laser modules in hi fi CD players quite often for folk). Perhaps try COMAND online?

It’s likely the actual transport is a popular branded item adapted to the car application. Even the exotic hifi brands use OEM laser modules.

Problem solved.
I did a Google search and someone suggested cleaning the laser lens. I sprayed some pcb cleaner onto a cotton bud and gently wiped it over the lens. I used the other end of the cotton bud to dry the lens. Connected it to the car wiring and I now have music.

I hope this info will help someone in the future.

Yes, thank you for sharing the outcome, a fair few 'new members' (those with few posts) come on here for advice regarding problems with their car and after being given all sorts of pointers and advice are never heard from again. So we are left wondering which bit of advice did (or did not) fix the problem.

Thanks again :thumb:

Chris-S and Petrol Pete. You are welcome. The forum is all about sharing information and knowledge. We should all play our part.

Rorywquin. I have a cleaning disc but the CD changer would not play it, hence the stripdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom