CD-R Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonTarling

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
Does anyone here burn copies of their original music CD's for use in the car? I'm having problem with skipping, pauses etc., when the original disc will play just fine. The head unit is the MB Audio 10 and it has the MB boot-mounted 6 disc changer connected. The unit plays original CD's no problem, but any CD-R shows the skipping problem - some worse than others. Have tried various makes of CD-R and none seem any better than any other! Is there any value in buying the special Audio CD-R's for this sort of use, or are they just another way of extracting more money for the same product? Any suggestions very welcome!

Unless the literature for your head unit or changer specificly states it will play CD-R and CD-RW, then I'm afraid you will not be able to use your home-burned items.

I replaced my previous Kenwood for this reason - now have all-dancing 10 disc version that copes with CD-R & CD-RW and mp3 format.

cdr

try burning your discs at a slower speed 8 speed is fast enough

I don't have any issues with our MB changer or the COMAND head unit. The brand of CDR also can have an impact. I always stick to known brands i.e. Maxell, TDK, Sony etc.

My Sony 10 disc changer in my old VW Vento wouldn't read CDR's but I believe many older car CD units (pre-95/96) had problems with recordable media.

I find that my Audio 10 CD head unit has problems with CDs written to very full. If you leave some space, then the problem disappears.

So, now when I make compilations, I always burn 1 less song onto the CD that iTunes says will fit. The CD changer does not have this problem.

Thanks for the replies chaps! The CD changer definitely plays CD-R's OK as I have some that work properly and don't skip at all. Wifey burnt a few for me as a favour on her laptop and those are worse than any that I've burnt on my desktop PC - same CD-R's, so the drives must also differ.

I've tried an expensive Sony data CD-R and that skips as bad as the cheap ones I've tried.

I'm intrigued as to why or how an audio CD-R is any different from a data CD-R - anyone know?

Gordon.. i'm having exactly the same problem as you with the CDR's..

I'm still trying to sort out the problem but i think i might have narrowed it down to the program that burns the CDR.

For example,
I usually use NERO and although i've never had a problem in my other cars, it just won't play at all in my Audio 10.

I'm now trying out RecordNow which seems to be better. I've switched to either Verbatim CDR's or Philips Music CDR's. Like you, i'm baffled if there is any difference between a music and data CDR.

I've switched to burning the music on the slowest setting (which can be painfully slow) and as such i've now managed to get some cd's to work. Though the problem i'm facing is that on most of them the Audio 10 will not recognise the 1st track.. and jumps to the 2nd.

I'll keep you updated if i find any other solution.

I used to have the same problems when using an Audio 10 unit.

Have now changed to an Pioneer AVIC-X1 :cool:

Hmmm.... certainly food for thought there.

Madferrit - I've tried burning with both Nero and Clone CD and haven't noted any difference there. Will obtain some audio CD's and see if they are any better. You may like to try using a lens cleaner CD if you haven't already - it seemed to improve mine a bit. Will post here again if I discover a surefire fix!

from experience these are all issues that can affect compatiblity:

(1) program used to burn
(2) different writers
(3) brands of CDR (Main problem in my experience) - also silverbacked/blue backed etc can effect it too.

keep to a good brand of CDR and make sure your writer works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom