Cd/Radio not working all of a sudden - Please help me out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dj_factor

Hello, I have a 2000 model s320. I have a cd/radio/tape player in my car (No command control/screen). Today i was doing some cleanup, cleaned my front windscreen, side windows, plastic trim, steeringwheel, etc and then switched on the car and tried to switch on the radio but no display and no sound. There were no lights on the display screen. I then tried to take out the cd stack from the changer - located in my boot and there was no light or operation there too. Can someone please tell me what would the problem be or how can i check for any symptons. One thing Im sure is that i never sprayed into the controls or the player or even on the trims. Always sprayed into the cloth and then wiped it onto the trims and buttons.
Thanks in Advance

Is there a specific fuse to look for Jay - sorry to be blunt.

Yes, you should look at a blown fuse. :) The radio fuse should be at the rear fuse box, fuse number 61. It could be the CDC too.

You would lose the sound if one of the fibre connectors were not well in place but you should not loose all lights from the head unit then. It could be a loose connector, and the head unit may have its own fuse at the rear of the unit too.

Thanks Diesel, how can i reach at the rear of the unit for fuse

Fuse F61 rear fuse box Blue 15 amp fuse fifth from the left.
Box is behind drivers seat at base of rear seat, cover attached to foot light. Just prize it off (fingers/screw driver) Spare fuse should be in boot under carpet on top of spare wheel.

ps

I suspect the fuse is ok, and the problem is
the electrical consumers may have shut down if you have not driven the car for a few days and previously you used a lot of electrical toys! Drive the car a few miles or recharge the battery, and the radio will probably come back on. Same thing happened to me. The fuse was fine

Last edited:
screws.jpg

Hi guys,
today after braving rainfall since the past 2 days, I decided to check the fuses. Well As Chas said, I checked the rear seat fuses and when I pulled out the blue 15 amp fuse and then pushed it inn, the radio started to work perfectly.

However The cd changer doesnt work and there seems to be no current or anything going to it. I tried to fiddle around there and saw little trace of water, maybe rainfall or so, but couldnt open the side screws of the bracket holding the cd player. I have however put some kitchen tissue paper there to soak any water or so.

Is there a way to check the cd changer / player or is there any fuses that i need to see. I have checked all the fuses and all are working perfect, non - blown. But when i select CD on my radio control, it says CD PLAYER not recognized.

Im also attaching a few pics of the Rear seat fuse. Can someone tell me if there is a fuse missing init or is fine and picture of the cd player. Also where can I find the fuse schematic for the whole car or electrics.

Thanks

Chas is there anyway I can see why the cd changer ist getting power or does it have a fuse or anything to check it working. It was working and all of a sudden stopped, dont know why
Thanks for the help

Hi guys,
today after braving rainfall since the past 2 days, I decided to check the fuses. Well As Chas said, I checked the rear seat fuses and when I pulled out the blue 15 amp fuse and then pushed it inn, the radio started to work perfectly.

However The cd changer doesnt work and there seems to be no current or anything going to it. I tried to fiddle around there and saw little trace of water, maybe rainfall or so, but couldnt open the side screws of the bracket holding the cd player. I have however put some kitchen tissue paper there to soak any water or so.

Is there a way to check the cd changer / player or is there any fuses that i need to see. I have checked all the fuses and all are working perfect, non - blown. But when i select CD on my radio control, it says CD PLAYER not recognized.

Im also attaching a few pics of the Rear seat fuse. Can someone tell me if there is a fuse missing init or is fine and picture of the cd player. Also where can I find the fuse schematic for the whole car or electrics.

Thanks

Fuse chart here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1219691-fuse-chart-2.html

Chas is there anyway I can see why the cd changer ist getting power or does it have a fuse or anything to check it working. It was working and all of a sudden stopped, dont know why
Thanks for the help

CD changer is fuse F61, same as radio. The water penetration looks like a problem ! Where is it coming from? Make sure the boot lid drain channel on the left isn't blocked. There might be some sort of short circuit in the changer :confused:

Is that rust bottom left ?? Take the changer out and dry it off. Water may have entered the connections. If its knackered, you can get a new/newish one for £60 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-6-CD...689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ebayphotohosting

Here is one going even cheaper http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-Mercedes...689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ebayphotohosting

220219637_o.jpg

If I remember, when you unplug the fibre optic cable it should glow red at some points when power is on

Last edited:
Hello Chas, you are a shiny star. God bless you. thanks for the help, Im just waiting for a sunny day to take out the mounting and check. Chas I have 2 questions, firstly as you mentioned the boot lid channel, is it the black plastic thing on the left, behind the carpet. or is it underneath where the cd player mounting is (like BMWS have in boot).

Secondly, If you see the picture I uploaded, there is one screw i can get too, but cant get to the 2nd screw. Do i need to remove the carpet from the sides or the plastic trim. Sorry for the hassle

Thanks

The boot lid channel is where the water runs when you open the boot, down the left and right hand sides.

Check these links
http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/S 00.pdf

http://mercedesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32190&highlight=changer

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.626&CT=F&cat=66T&SID=82&SGR=305&SGN=12

Looks like 4 screws ( 004 SCREW CD CHANGER M4X6 ) attached to bracket

It may be water in the fibre optic cable

Its possible if you disconnect the battery it will reset the cd changer, but please check with someone on here who knows better than me! (not difficult)

Last edited:
Hi Chas, Thanks a Million. I managed to find the problem. i unscrewed the whole mounting, cd changer and then gave a look at the wires. The power wire to the cd player, have green/orangish rust in the tiny ISO plug that goes to the cd changer. Having a look at it closely had me to clean it all and eventually scrapped it with a blade and tiny thin screw driver. Vola, everything works now. Thanks for it.

One last question Chas, The boot lid channel is clean but i found traces of water as I have shown in the cd changer pic with the tissue around. When you pull out the cd changer mounting, you can see 2 rubber groumets 1 on the left and 1 on the right. what are they for. Is it to drain water or something.

2ndly, I think you have done headlight and command modifications, any idea if I would want to do that too, where shall I and whats the budget. Thanks

Hi Chas, Thanks a Million. I managed to find the problem. i unscrewed the whole mounting, cd changer and then gave a look at the wires. The power wire to the cd player, have green/orangish rust in the tiny ISO plug that goes to the cd changer. Having a look at it closely had me to clean it all and eventually scrapped it with a blade and tiny thin screw driver. Vola, everything works now. Thanks for it.

One last question Chas, The boot lid channel is clean but i found traces of water as I have shown in the cd changer pic with the tissue around. When you pull out the cd changer mounting, you can see 2 rubber groumets 1 on the left and 1 on the right. what are they for. Is it to drain water or something.

2ndly, I think you have done headlight and command modifications, any idea if I would want to do that too, where shall I and whats the budget. Thanks

Glad you got it sorted, well done :bannana:
You had better find the source of water penetration, is it coming from underneath the car? Have a look under the car beneath where the cd changer sits, you might have a rusty hole there. Is that a rusty hole in this picture to the left of the left hand arrow head?

cdchanger.jpg

Failing that check the left hand rear light seal,water might be getting in there and dripping down into the cd changer.
I will get back to you on the headlights, but your cheapest option is clear glass projectors(2003+ models) to replace the frosted glass headlamps. Do you have Xenons or halogen headlamps?
If you want COMAND 2.5 installed it can be done by yourself, all for about £350 ish or I can tell you where to get it done by a pro for about £700.

Now if someone can help me with my telephone ring tone not playing on COMAND 2.5 :crazy:

Last edited:
Hiya Chas,
Today I managed to snap up S class Clear black projector headlamps for £85 incl postage. Just a few questions, would it matter if it was for a left or right hand car, I just bidded in the last 2 mins and didnt get chance to read the listing much as it was in german language. (Typical last min shopper). Welll I have sent an email to the seller on ebay, but havent got his reply yet.

My question is, Do you think it will fit fine to my 2000 s320, do i need any modifications (wire cutting), will it have a gap between the bumper or bonnet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BENZ...4673724QQihZ010QQcategoryZ57312QQcmdZViewItem

What do you say about it Chas.
Thanks for your help once again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom