CD stuck in changer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Sue has a CD changer in her SLK glovebox. I put a CD in slot 1, but it did not get recognised and will not eject. :fail Sue has now managed to put CD's in all 6 slots (including the slot I am 99.9% sure the stuck one is in!)

This sound feasible and is there anyway I can get the (stuck) one out? Seems to be working OK, but it cannot be right surely longterm

Thanks

Sue has a CD changer in her SLK glovebox. I put a CD in slot 1, but it did not get recognised and will not eject. :fail Sue has now managed to put CD's in all 6 slots (including the slot I am 99.9% sure the stuck one is in!)

This sound feasible and is there anyway I can get the (stuck) one out? Seems to be working OK, but it cannot be right surely longterm

Thanks
Can't help with the stuck CD, but I will repeat what has been said about playing 'burnt' CD's. They will (and do) mess up your CD player.

It was explained to me as follows: When CD players were fitted to 'older' cars the laser was designed to track a certain amount of info on a disk, usually a maximum of 75 minutes of info (music).

When disk technology moved on and people were able to burn massive amounts of info on to one disk the 'old skool' laser and its mechanism worked overtime to try and read it.

Got tired , and eventually died.

Someone on here will probably have a better explanation. but either way ,I personally only use original disks, if and when I use the CD stack player.

Not sure its anything to do with recorded CD's over 74mins as the current RedBook for Audio allows for 79mins of audio so even an original CD would cause the same issue if this was the case.

Most likely due to general wear and tear, Grime etc.

Not sure its anything to do with recorded CD's over 74mins as the current RedBook for Audio allows for 79mins of audio so even an original CD would cause the same issue if this was the case.

Most likely due to general wear and tear, Grime etc.
74..79 minutes, not a big difference. The problem is the amount of data that can now be burnt on to a CD is simply too much for the mechanical side of the laser to handle. It happens mainly with older cars. The BOSE system in my Omega Elite suffered from this as did the system in my friends Volvo T5. When CD players were a 'luxury' in cars (all those years ago) almost no one had the hardware to burn their own disks.

74..79 minutes, not a big difference. The problem is the amount of data that can now be burnt on to a CD is simply too much for the mechanical side of the laser to handle. It happens mainly with older cars. The BOSE system in my Omega Elite suffered from this as did the system in my friends Volvo T5. When CD players were a 'luxury' in cars (all those years ago) almost no one had the hardware to burn their own disks.

I think you have missed the point, original mastered Audio CD comply with the RedBook, so can allow upto 79mins to have been pressed into the original CD, this is nothing to do with home recordings. The issue with home burned audio is that the reflective index of the CD is much lower than a pressed original so the laser pickup will receive a higher rate of error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom