CDI emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Hi

My S211 E220 cdi passed its mot yesterday with no advisories, which is great news.

The tester said the emissions only just passed and asked if I drove the car gently, which I normally do.

He advised that I gave it some welly once in a while and certainly before its next test. Does this make sense?

Also my car tends to blow a puff of black smoke on brisk acceleration. Is this normal?

Thanks Steve

Diesels need a blast every now and then too prevent the EGR coking up, which yous probably is due to short journeys or light driving. It also doesn't help the DPF which yours shouldn't have.

As for the MOT, there is an emissions test which can fail

Black smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel. Take it for an italian tune up and all should be ok

Grazie per questo Bob!

Would a dose of Redex every now and again help?

i used to use millers as research said was better
not sure if was but placebo effect or not but seemed to help make smoother, howeve, when i started to use esso supreme all the time car was defo much happier all the time so now only use this

Neil

I don't know why they call it a Emission Test.

It's a Smoke test
Completely different.

Just give it a blast now and again.

Only ever driving a car gently isn't looking after it. It's just getting clogged up everywhere. Diesels produce soot, it needs blasting out from time to time.

Sliproads are perfect, just plant your foot to the floor and let it go nuts.

Also on your way to your next MOT, make sure you drive it like you stole it. It'll fly through the emissions test, the added temperature helps too.

i-CONICA said:
Sliproads are perfect, just plant your foot to the floor and let it go nuts.

Steep long hill, second gear, red line, job done.

EEK!

So my 'Driving Miss Daisy' style may have to change once in a while.

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom