CDI220 oil breather leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
The other day when working on my dad's W211 CDI220 (fitted with the OM646 EVO engine) I noticed a mist coming from the area near the oil breather, when the engine was idling. I removed the oil breather pipe and a grey mist was then pumping out of the oil breather at quite a high pressure! Plugged the pipe back on and I then deduced the oil breather 'box' must have a bad seal(s), as the mist was seeping out again.

- can the oil breather seals on this engine be replaced or do you have to buy the whole breather box?

- is it normal that on an OM646-EVO with 110K, that it pumps out a mist at a seemingly high pressure? For comparison I removed the breather pipe from my engine (standard OM646 with 122K) and with the engine running, there was no mist and the pressure was less (coming out of the breather 'box').

You should not see a mist unless the O-rings are missing or the breather is blocked.

The O-rings are not supplied with the breather box and can be purchased seperately.

Maybe someone replaced the breather without swapping the O-rings from the old one?

Also check the bolts are tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom