CDI270 Fuel Pump Seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

therobster

Car
CLK 270 CDI Avant Garde
Hi all

After having starting problems with my CLK CDI 270 and reading all the threads on here regarding the issue with the pipes becoming brittle and leaking air, I had the plastic hoses to the fuel pump replaced which cured the starting issue.

I now have another problem, the main fuel pump at the front intemittently leaks fuel, I can start the car and it releases 6 or 7 drips of fuel then stops, I can then go days and nothing happens, then it drips again :confused:

Took the car in yesterday to have a glow plug changed and asked abot the pump, was told that the metal the pump is made from tends to crack and leak and you cant repair them, I wont say what I thought about that piece of advice, other than he wanted £600 to fix it.

I have read on here that the seals can go on the pumps and can be replaced, can anyone tell me where I can get a set from, I intend to buy a second hand pump and replace the seals myself then get it fitted.

Any help would be most grateful

Thanks

Bosch diesel centre. Google it and your location. There is probably one not too far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Thanks for that, would they repair or sell the seal kit for them ?

Great Thanks

Many Thanks to V12 for his advice, car is now fixed, and I have the reason why it was leaking, the high pressure fuel pumps on the CDI 270 engines, get corrosion build up inside this in turn lifts the seals on the pump just enough to allow a few drips of fuel through when first starting the engine, it seals as soons as the pressure comes up. The pump has been stripped down and cleaned and all the seals replaced. Now perfect.

The work was done by Jacksons Diesel Centre in Northampton, took just a day, and cost £198 inc parts and VAT, far cheaper than a new pump.

Nice work. Happy for you.
For future reference for anyone daring to try it: The seal kit was about £15 and it took me a few hours to do it with common sense to guide me along.

Nice work. Happy for you.
For future reference for anyone daring to try it: The seal kit was about £15 and it took me a few hours to do it with common sense to guide me along.

thanks for this useful information. Did you buy from Mercede or they sell at any auto parts dealer?
I understand it's mainly a matter to unscrew the pump and remove/renew fuel hoses and seals, isn't it?

cheers:)

As above. Any Bosch diesel centre will have the kit in stock.
I scrubbed the outside first, then unscrewed the caps and scraped away the crud as I went. I used a 400grit (I think) sandpaper to make sure all the surfaces were perfectly flat.
Then replaced all the rubber seals and re assembled.
Just time and patience needed, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom