Ceiling cooker hoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

As part of our kitchen refit, we are looking at in ceiling extractors, is there way to calculate what extraction rate is needed?

Thanks

Tan

Hi,

I don't know about a specific formula as we went with the most powerful model we could find that will hopefully cover us in all circumstances. 700m3 ph should be adequate for most large kitchens.

But be warned, the more powerful ones can sound like a jet plane!

Hi,

I don't know about a specific formula as we went with the most powerful model we could find that will hopefully cover us in all circumstances. 700m3 ph should be adequate for most large kitchens.

But be warned, the more powerful ones can sound like a jet plane!

Exactly this. We have a Stoves hood with Charcoal Filters. These can be re-used for ever and washed in the dish washer.

At full pelt..... Small furry animals, your dinner and average sized humans may disappear upwards, like Mary Poppins. It does sound rather like an early V1 Rocket testing station.

New build regs state minimum intermittent air flow for kitchens is:
30 l/s adjacent to hob.
60 l/s elsewhere.
Continuous is 13 l/s.

Replacing existing (as you are), states that if there was none before then you do not need to add it but if there was then it must not be less than existing.

So, I would recommend using the figures for new build then you can happily say that you comply with part F.

Tony

If you are extracting as opposed to recirculating, duct sizing is important. Generally the larger you go the quieter it will be.

I'm looking at one of these for a kitchen soon, over an island unit. Kitchen is large (approx 6m x 6m) with a vaulted ceiling (3.5m high). Don't need extraction as house has MHRV throughout.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom