Cell phone blues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Anybody had problems using an old BT Cellnet SIM card in a modern phone nokia 3100. The phone recognises the network. o2 OK :) I can phone to the 3100 with the old sim card and it connects OK. :) But when I try to phone out I get the message "call not allowed". :( I have gone thro all the menus with a fine toothcomb to no avail. The phone is locked as it wont recognise an orange sim card but works perfectly with a mate's newish o2 card so no problem there. I have come to the conclusion that the phone lock whether network,provider or sim is not allowing me to connect to the network as a" cellnet" o2 user rather than a "o2" o2 user. This really pisses me off since I bought an o2 phone to allow me to continue to use my old number/simcard call credit. Having spent time and money with "customer services" what a joke :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and my local o2 shop who knew nothing about the technology they were dealing with :mad: :mad: I am at a loss. I could get the phone unlocked professionally but I still dont know if that would work. I have tried various unlock code software utilities and tried 3 times to unlock the phone myself but I am only allowed 5 tries before the phone locks permanently. Any comms :( tech guys come across this problem and did you solve it???? :crazy:

One thing to check first - make sure the "Fixed dialling numbers" feature is switched off (Settings->Security Settings->Fixed Dialling Numbers)

If thats no help, the fact you can receive incoming calls but not make outgoing calls suggests this isn't a Phone/SIM problem, but a SIM/Network issue. Unlocking the phone to all service providers would not solve the problem you are having with your existing Cellnet SIM.

The "Call not allowed" note is being displayed by the phone due to an error cause sent by the network in response to a failed mobile originated call request.

Maybe a newer SIM would solve the problem - 02 should be able to provide you with a replacement at a nominal cost.

Last edited:
Just tell O2 you have lost you SIM and should provide you with a new one FOC!
Kate

unlocked theory??

thanks to you guys who replied. I have gone with a new sim card and connected with the o2 network OK. Have had to change number of course. Tried old card in a O2 NOKIA 8310 worked OK. Also in an UNLOCKED Nokia 6310i worked fine. I am left with the suspicion that my old Cellnet sim WOULD have worked in an unlocked version of the 3100. :confused: :confused: C!est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom