Central heating boilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
May need a new boiler soon and asking around. Astonished to be told that thanks to EU Laws on Grennhouse gasses very soon you will only be able to have a Condensing Boiler fitted!

These are damn expensive and said to be nowhere as good as they are cracked up to. What is more, told that no more than 50% of the radiators should have thermostatic valves in order not to restrict water flow.

Anybody know if this is correct?

I believe this comes in from next April. Our gas engineer was telling me just the other day though that they are now much much better than they were just a few years ago. Can't help with the TRV question though but I can see if what you've heard is true then that could be a problem :crazy: but I don't understand the logic.

The water flow would not be restricted around the system - only to that radiator unless your pipes only go into and out of the rad's with no seperate pipe going underneath if you get what I mean. You always have to be able to isolate rad's for a variety of reasons. This would suggest that you can no longer do that :crazy:

Last edited:
Satch said:
May need a new boiler soon and asking around. Astonished to be told that thanks to EU Laws on Grennhouse gasses very soon you will only be able to have a Condensing Boiler fitted!

These are damn expensive and said to be nowhere as good as they are cracked up to. What is more, told that no more than 50% of the radiators should have thermostatic valves in order not to restrict water flow.

I had a new Condensing boiler fitted two years ago. The requirement is that at least three radiators must not be fitted with thermstats. You can choose which ones, and the others will be controlled. The boiler is very efficient and my gas bill has reduced considerably. You also get hot water/radiators very quick. I would highly recommend them. :rock:

Hi,
Do you know what model you have out of interest ? also has anyone got involved with renewable energy type solutions???

Satch said:

Yep, 'fraid so. Its the new Building Regs which come in next April. This is what I do for a living for a Housing Trust, supervise central heating installs that is. Not sure about the number of TRVs' though. Most, if not all, combi condensers have a built in bypass so there will be no harm done to the boiler. You do need though, to maintain for as long as possible, a relatively cool return temperature to the boiler or it WONT condense therefore negating the reason for having one.

(Glojo!, Nearly there son!)

Portzy

PS If its any consolation mines on its last legs as well :( so I suppose thats a weekend spoken for in the Spring!

Last edited:
peterchurch said:
Hi,
Do you know what model you have out of interest ? also has anyone got involved with renewable energy type solutions???

Ideal Minimiser.

peterchurch said:
Hi,

I have a Gloworm condensing boiler and think it's brill. It works in condensing mode nearly always. Even if not they're more efficient due to the additional heat exchanger.
You can hold your hand in front of the exhaust and not get scalded. Mind you it does plume a bit. :)

Ps I am involved with renewables, especially solar water heating. If you need advice....PM me.

Last edited:
Satch said:

If you shop around condensing boilers are not expensive at all in reality. As usual, don't take the first quote.

If a pressure operated bypass valve is fitted the water flow won't be restricted anyway.

Most, if not all, combi condensers have a built in bypass so there will be no harm done to the boiler.

Exactly - there are a lot of old wives tales about TRV's etc.

Fact is that before these new boilers had internal bypasses only ONE radiator was left without a TRV and that was typically the bathroom as it was the one room where heat was almost always wanted - but its just a personal choice.

Think about this:
the amount of water leaving the boiler is the same for ONE radiator as it is for a dozen - ie it all goes down the same flow / return. The ONLY difference is the return temperature is lower for more radiators etc. Previous comment about the return temp needing to be low for max efficiency with condensing boilers is correct.

Also regarding the cost - you will MORE than make up for it with savings on your gas bill over 5 or ten years, especially if you have maximum (10.5 inches of loft insulation and also cavity wall insulation if possible.

Last edited:
portzy said:
(Glojo!, Nearly there son!)

Portzy

:) Thanks
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom