Central Heating Boilers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another vote for the glow worms... The house I'm in now had one when I moved in in 2000... I doubt it was new back then.

It's run near faultlessly (bar a thermocouple which cost less than £5 to replace) since then.

I have been looking for a new one though, purely for the increase in efficiency...

M.

I also have an old (yr 2000) GlowWorm. Despite having a new fan every 2-3 years and several thermocouples it's been relatively reliable. Not worth changing until it completely falls over.

However, the new ones don't deserve to be associated with these. Build quality is appalling and the electronics unreliable.

Has to be Vaillant now or if funds don't permit, Worcester.

I'm in a similar position with needing a new gas boiler. Current is an Ariston that I installed myself almost 17 years ago when I first moved in. It's become unreliable and fails to maintain the flame. I've managed to 'frigg' it over the winter as it will light after a few quick jabs of the hot water switch. It stays on ok once warmed up but it's meant getting up to some cold mornings.

I've been tempted to just replace it myself but as we may be downsizing in a few years, I'm worried that I won't have the regulation bit of paper as I'm not gas safe registered. Quotes of £2.5K and £3.5K to install a £1K bit of kit seems a bit strong.

But to answer the OP. After reading revues and visiting forums like Plumbing and Central Heating Forum - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement I've come down on the side of Vaillant, with a stainless steel heat exchanger. Worcester Bosch second although they seem to have some 'Friday afternoon' problems and an aluminium exchanger. Baxi don't get a very good revue, from what I've read.

Although the boiler swap is quite straightforward, there's the added extra of 'power flush' and thermostatic rad valves that are required to be fitted. I am, at least, fortunate that I have a drain, close to the boiler position, as that's also necessary for the modern condensing boilers.

Both boilers are the best you can get although not cheap. The worcester heat exchanger can have a tendancy to fail but they do give a 10 year warranty on it although they do not advetise it.

As for fitting do not go to the big boys like British Gas ETC as there prices are so over the top.

For a boiler exchange you should pay no more than £500 to be fitted by your local Corgi Reg Plb and should take no more than one day

Both boilers are the best you can get although not cheap. The worcester heat exchanger can have a tendancy to fail but they do give a 10 year warranty on it although they do not advetise it.

As for fitting do not go to the big boys like British Gas ETC as there prices are so over the top.

For a boiler exchange you should pay no more than £500 to be fitted by your local Corgi Reg Plb and should take no more than one day

£500 :eek:.

Perhaps my guy (post #8) will travel after all - shall I ask him?

I'd advise you to select your own boiler and buy it yourself then get someone to fit it. I used these News Story - Extended Warranties on Vaillant EcoTEC Boilers in 2013 and they were a couple of hundred £'s cheaper than the local suppliers and were very good to deal with

gas engineers make money by shifting units; boiler manufacturers give them incentives... so they usually try and get you to buy the boiler they get most brownie points for, and usually get a bit glum when asked to fit a boiler bought cheaper from elsewhere... lol

Worcester Bosch is the one my gas engineer mate concedes to; as the 'Good' boiler.

trouble is; companies that made an awesome product years ago may have let standards slip... and sometimes buying a nostalgic brand doesnt work out for the best
We bought a 'hoover' washing machine once... :wallbash:

...trouble is; companies that made an awesome product years ago may have let standards slip... and sometimes buying a nostalgic brand doesnt work out for the best...

Bringing the topic back home, given that this is a Mercedes Benz forum.... :D

gas engineers make money by shifting units; boiler manufacturers give them incentives... so they usually try and get you to buy the boiler they get most brownie points for, and usually get a bit glum when asked to fit a boiler bought cheaper from elsewhere... lol

Some installers let you buy your own boiler online, they just help you choose the right model.

We have had a whole new system fitted as we have had a new extension.

We decided on the Megaflow system and the Vaillant boiler was recommended, seems to work very efficiently

After failing to make a decision and seeing this recentish thread, I thought I'd ask the forum for help :

Vaillant ECOtec Plus 831 or Viessmann Vitodens-200W

ECOtec is the safe option due to parts availablility.

Vitodens looks like a great boiler (from reading the service manuals etc) but parts, although available, might cause trouble in the future.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

I've had the Ecotec one for a few years now and it has been faultless. Just the annual service and no problems. Don't know about the other one.

Had an ecotec in a previous house and it was fine. About to do a boiler/system change in our present house and somewhat surprised to find myself moving to a combi system - the new Worcester floor standing combi (the 550) can deliver 25 litres/min of hot water (defined as mains temperature plus 35 deg C), which should be plenty for our two bathroom setup. It will be replacing a traditional low pressure gravity fed indirect system, so should give good improvement in water pressure at the tap as well as about a 30% efficiency improvement on the old boiler.

I did look at the 550 for fitting convienience, but it is a bit OTT for what I need !

Still not sorted mine as I can get my current boiler to fire up with a bit of fiddling.

Not really tried very much as the thought of paying 2.5K - 3.5K for a (almost) straight swap with a 1K boiler seems to be taking the pi$$ somewhat.

We put in an Ecotec in the end.

Been faultless so far - very happy with it.

I could get our old boiler to fire up but it always stops when it is bleedin' cold or first thing in the morning - even though I worked out it was the fan pressure sensor in the end. Jaxi Pottyon are sheeite.

Next question - would you buy online or from a local merchant.

There is no price difference ~£3 at most ringing around.

I'm tempted to go local, just so I have someone in person I can talk to plus I have bought spares from there before . . .

Next question - would you buy online or from a local merchant.

There is no price difference ~£3 at most ringing around.

I'm tempted to go local, just so I have someone in person I can talk to plus I have bought spares from there before . . .

Definately local at that price difference. Easier to deal face to face if there are any problems

Deal done earlier today :) even going to drop it off to my door when it gets delivered to them tomorrow !

Tucker French, Kingston

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom