Central locking and radio reception W209 06

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wonky60

The Isle of Wight, like living back in time with a
Car
CLK320 Coupe 2006
My CLK 320 coupe 2006 has developed a central locking and radio reception problem. From what I can gather it is most likely the antenna amplifier, what I cant work out is it's location, is it attached to the rear screen, the C pillar passenger side or under the dashboard at the front or all of the above.

The IR is working ok as is SAT NAV and CD changer.

Sorry to be a pain I know this has been discussed to death now, but can't seem to find my exact model, and as I am not keen on electrical problems hopefully want a few pointers in the right direction / area.

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Trigger your car alarm and see if it works properly, lock the car with the remote then open a door by unlocking with the emergency key blade.

Check fuses relating to alarm and central locking.

Dec

Well you have an electrical fault with the alarm, which is related to the central locking, your car alarm is now 11 years old, it’s typical for them to fail around 10 years of age. The alarm siren is the control unit for the alarm system.
The antenna amplifier fuse/alarm fuse may be blown, because the alarm is faulty, if so, you can replace it but it is likely that it will blow again.

Best thing to do is remove the alarm siren from the car, if you want to replace it, then buy a NEW one from an MB dealer, the cost about £100 and easy to fit.

I’m not sure where it’s located on your car, are you going to fix this your self or get a garage to do it?

Here is it being replaced on a W203… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmpeK1TFfw

This is what happens to the siren at around 10 years … https://www.google.com/search?q=mer...nrTVAhVGJsAKHVyrBtMQ_AUICigB&biw=1160&bih=898

Dec

Hi Dec

I will have a go at this myself, very mechanical and once I know the area to look into with electrical problems I should be able to sort out, hopefully.

Thanks for your advise much appreciated

Ian

Someone may be able to confirm where it is located, probably the same as the one in video.
Don’t forget to check the fuses.
Let us know how it goes.

Dec

Alarm siren on a 2006 W209 is at the lower rear of the nearside front wheel arch behind the arch liner.

Think you will need a security torx t30 (or maybe 40, sorry can't remember) to remove it. New one from MB comes with a new fixing nut (providing the parts man remembers) as newer ones have a different mount.

Also, newer sirens chirp 3 times on locking and once on unlocking unless you get it put on Star to restore the silent set/unset. I actually prefer the chirp, its quite subtle and gives easy confirmation that you've locked it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information, as soon as I get a chance to look into this further I will do an update.

Would normally be out there tonight, but, getting over radiotherapy so really tired, it may be a few days before I get a chance to look into it further.

Thank you all

:D

Thank you all for the assistance, second hand one from Prestige All Parts £20 fitted, fuse changed all working OK, oh and a set of security torx keys/sockets, quite like the chirp on and off as well.

Had a good chance to clean out behind the wheel arch liner, a worthwhile job at the same time, 11 years of crud to clear out, no signs of rot so all good, have to do the other side as well though.

Thanks again

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom