Central locking motors HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
Can anyone please give me a definitive answer as to how hard it is to change a central locking motor PLEASE?

I've read it's an easy job, I've been told it's a nightmare?????? Can anyone tell me for sure what's the score?

The car is a 2002 W203 estate.

Is there a 'how to' in existence anywhere?

Any help/advice VERY MUCH appreciated...

Ooops sorry

Front passenger door

Lock bounces up and down when locking/unlocking

Have you checked that the realease cable that connects to the door panel is located correctly ? This will often cause this problem on a 211

There is a little spring in the lock That is broken.Its hard to take it apart.

Now fixed - easy DIY. Thanks all

I've the same problem in this moment (closing the doors the drivers door pin start making a funny movement TATATATA:)) it's quite difficoult to take off the motor (I mean on the driver side).

At the moment I've ordered the new one, did you repaired yours (I was not able to locate any broken components inside)?

Furthermore, does exist the same component in all the 4 doors?:eek:...hoping it will never happen again:confused:

So , they've replaced the elegant and silently-operating vacuum locking system with a noisy and unreliable electric system on the new models then ?

Might as well fit a badge with a blue oval to the bonnet - only these cars would be an insult to Henry .

So , they've replaced the elegant and silently-operating vacuum locking system with a noisy and unreliable electric system on the new models then ?

Might as well fit a badge with a blue oval to the bonnet - only these cars would be an insult to Henry .

Yes Sir, on W202 I had the vacuum system, on W203 an electric system.

in any case it seems that the broken component is a spring, lever or gear a sort of this

Hello, I didn't even try to fix the unit as there doesn't seem much point to me. Although its an easy job to replace it it is quite fiddly to do so why risk a potentially bodged repair?
As far as I know all the doors potentially have this problem and it is apparently a very common fault! I just hope the drivers door doesn't go being the only one with a lock barrel as well - I can only assume this makes it a bit harder to swap.

As for how I did it, I did find some instructions somewhere on the forum but if anyone is stuck and wants some help please do let me know.

Hello, I didn't even try to fix the unit as there doesn't seem much point to me. Although its an easy job to replace it it is quite fiddly to do so why risk a potentially bodged repair?
As far as I know all the doors potentially have this problem and it is apparently a very common fault! I just hope the drivers door doesn't go being the only one with a lock barrel as well - I can only assume this makes it a bit harder to swap.

As for how I did it, I did find some instructions somewhere on the forum but if anyone is stuck and wants some help please do let me know.

thanks! Hoping that the other 3 locks will last for forever:)

tomorrow I'll install the new loking motor purchased from the dealer, to dismount the old one I've destroied some finger and forced some part of the door plate, inside, ...yes even if I've drilled out the lower rivets of the vertical windows guide.

please do you have some suggestion to make the installation work easier?:)

Sorry but its a trial and error job to get the new motor into place! Good luck...

Sorry but its a trial and error job to get the new motor into place! Good luck...

Actually I've done the work it's OK, hoping the other 3 locking motors will last again for several years:confused:

Further to this I bought a full set of four of the springs that break off ebay this week to fix the osr door that broke a while ago. Although the springs probably cost more than their weight in gold (£24 for the set with instructions and a'tool' from i6auto) this is a hell of a lot less than new lock units (I was quoted ~£90+vat for the lock in question yet the front I did last year was half the price????).

Moreover it works a treat, just done it this am in about an hour and a half and now have 3 spares for the next inevitable pogo episode....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom