Central Locking Problem after installing New Battery. 1991 124 230TE.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I fitted a new battery to my 124 230TE today and now the central locking is not working properly.

I took the battery off and then decided to do a few other small jobs before fitting the new battery, so the car was without the battery for perhaps an hour.

The drivers door locks with the key but the others will not. Tailgate locks with the key also.

Any ideas, please?

TIA.

Odd. I wonder if you have lost a bit of vacuum Paul. If you have not run the engine do that for a while. Had a battery off one mine for a couple of days and all was fine.

Odd. I wonder if you have lost a bit of vacuum Paul. If you have not run the engine do that for a while. Had a battery off one mine for a couple of days and all was fine.

Had the engine running, John. Went out for 20mile drive. I can't think what has happened.

Pipe off the vac unit. Under rear bench seat to the off side I believe. Sorry if you have been there already.

Pipe off the vac unit. Under rear bench seat to the off side I believe. Sorry if you have been there already.

Thanks, John. I'll take a look in the morning.

Check the fuses, failing that sniff the c/l compressor to see if it's burnt out (happens on 124s).

When did you get this 124?

Thanks, Nick.

I've had it about 5-6 weeks. A few small jobs still to do, but apart from the front springs needing to be replaced, it's been ok up to now.

Is the central locking normally operated by key in the driver’s door or a remote, if remote, what type?

Dec

Is the central locking normally operated by key in the driver’s door or a remote, if remote, what type?

Dec

Hi Dec,

Normally operated with the key, although the car did come with two aftermarket remote fobs which (when buying the car) I was told might still work if I replaced the batteries in them.

Have you ever actually seen all doors/tailgate lock from the drivers door via the key blade, if you haven’t, then its likely that the cars wiring was modified to accommodate an aftermarket alarm, renewing the remote batteries may solve the problem.

Are your remotes like the Scorpion one in picture below?

Dec
KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

The key did lock all of the doors and tailgate, Dec.

This is one of the remote fobs that came with the car.

124RemoteFob.jpg

You clearly have a new fault so, as suggested a fuse perhaps, you could try removing the door handle lock key hole and give the vacant hole a good spray with WD40 and also spray the lock key hole too, the key , as far as I know, should turn a full quarter turn, left or right when locking/unlocking.

It would be interesting to see what the remote fob does when the battery/s is replaced, might give a clue to what is at fault.

How about the passenger side door lock, will it operate the locking?

Dec

Just been to have a look under the bonnet and found this near the battery.

124001.jpg

I can't see where it might be from in the poor light.

Any ideas, please?

I replaced the batteries in one of the fobs and the alarm does indeed arm/disarm, but it doesn't operate the central locking at present. :confused:

You will need to check out the vacuum pump connections, pump under back seat.. The other work that you were doing when the battery was disconnected, would that have any bearing on this central locking failure?

Dec

You will need to check out the vacuum pump connections, pump under back seat..

Will do. Thanks.

The other work that you were doing when the battery was disconnected, would that have any bearing on this central locking failure?

No, I shouldn't think so. Just vacuuming out debris and a wipe over.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom