Centre Heating wooden trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P2AJB

Car
1995 E280 Estate
Hi

I have a 1995 E280 Estate, a previous owner has obviously tried to remove the wood trim around the heater and A/C controls judging by the small areas of damage around the perimeter where he has tried levering it off with a screw driver. My probelm is the 3 buttons for the aircon feel as though they are stuck in --no movement at all when pressed. The EC button seems to have a life of its own and sometimes lights up and on other occassions stay off. I'd like to fix the problem which I guess will mean locating a new control panel with working buttons. Two bits of help/advice I would greatly appreciate. 1 is the control panel generic for cars with a/c? ie.the top switch holes are all there but accomodate the appropriate switches depending on model--eg. rear wipe for estate. and the wood facia dictates hwere the swithces are located?
2. How do you remove the wood trim panel. I guess if I knew the answer to removing the trim the other question would answer itself. If it is really complicated I can continue to live the the lucky dip as to whether the A/C will come on or not. When the EC red light comes on, swithcing the engine off and starting again often puts it in the opposite state and once the car is running it doesn't change until next time the ignition is turned off.
Car is great, Ebay purchase with 110,000 on, done 27,000 since I bought it a year ago. Thanks for any advice.

Panel is easy to remove. Pull off the circular knobs for the heater controls. They may be pretty tight but they will come off. Undo the nuts underneath and it should then be obvious. The wood panels are not all the same but unless you have a rare spec such as the snow chain switch you should not have a problem finding a new one. The plastic carrier behind the wood where the switches fit is the same for all I think.
The buttons on mine don't move as such. If you turn the heater dials to the coldest setting and have the fan on then the AC should come on. No need to touch the buttons. If you want constant AC in the winter - heated AC air -then press the top button til it lights up. EC switches AC off completely - off when lit.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Commonest reason for EC light coming on unexpectedly is low gas. Perhaps the system just needs a check over or regas.

Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate it. I had the system regassed a couple of weeks ago and it didn't change anything apart from the aircon did operate "colder""

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom