Ceramic Brake Pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyBW204

Car
C220
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody uses ceramic brake pads? I have a W204 C220 CDI and I am getting a lot of brake dust from the pads that were fitted before i bought it. I believe ceramic pads give off a light grey dust that isn't prone to sticking to your rims but I also heard that ceramic pads need time to warmup for optimum braking. This concerns me as I don't want to compromise braking power on a cold start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at green stuff.yellow stuff.red stuff brake pads.

Thanks guys, forgot to mention that it is only for standard road use. Do the green stuff pads requiring a warming up period before they bite?

I use ATE ceramic pads without any problem and my brother has EBC Greenstuff ditto.
I have clean wheels and very little wear. They seem to work perfectly from cold but may get even better if you warm them up with some spiirted driving!

I wouldn't change from normal road pads to performance pads unless replacing the discs at the same time.

Were the previous 'dusty pads' genuine MB or aftermarket standard road pads?

I'm using ATE ceramic pads, less dust & brakes are as good as they were on standard pads, hot or cold.

Russ

Thanks guys, forgot to mention that it is only for standard road use. Do the green stuff pads requiring a warming up period before they bite?

From memory, "Green" is barely above their OEM replacement products. It's then "Red", "Yellow", and "Blue".

I would not advise putting Bluestuff in a road car; they are an endurance pad so do nothing until you've got decent heat in them (then last for ages). - I run Yellowstuff in the GTiR, and they seem fine on both the road and track; they do get better with a bit of heat.

They all come with a break-in compound on the surface, so the discs are conditioned as the pads bed-in.

I wouldn't change from normal road pads to performance pads unless replacing the discs at the same time.

Were the previous 'dusty pads' genuine MB or aftermarket standard road pads?

Th garage I bought the car off put new aftermarket pads and discs on but I am getting a lot of brake dust from the pads so I'm guessing they are just poor quality. Would switching back to the OEM pads reduce the amount of brake dust?

Th garage I bought the car off put new aftermarket pads and discs on but I am getting a lot of brake dust from the pads so I'm guessing they are just poor quality. Would switching back to the OEM pads reduce the amount of brake dust?

OEM pads have the most dust of all, that's why we look for alternatives.

Russ

As above OEM are dusty as hell.

I'm considering Textar e pads or ATE ceramics. Just not sure which to go for.

I moved from Red Stuff to Textar, The textar do not seem to be too dusty.

Which brand/type of ceramic pads would you recommend for SLK55 R172? My "new" car must have OEM pads because rear wheels are getting brown and very dusty. Fronts are getting a bit dusty but dust is grey so not that bad. Didn't have this issue in previous SLK55.

I don't plan to go to track, just normal driving in UK and a bit faster on continent.

Below is example how bad it gets, that's after 1000 mile driving on motorways, not a lot of braking. Wheels are black in case of any doubt.
IGQH8bGP9CJRo1QMFZRTffb8r0CNqsPmo8F3PUMTKN5fZfpQMKwoBaUwN0pRetl-uAwEbPydHoghiorXDt_6Dc6Rq6oPW0yO0Nl6w9EhIu4nNi-sr8kSR-aelWgL3HfeyR2ruFpQrs72fHEi1HgTNe_22dOlB6NUJwrEYnly6lQCU-IjQzL96bX9MD4JUHtmVLXAK8wOI6Zx9pyoSnnk9mUucMbbpWdIJV4XH89fflghPnwbf0NCD2L2oHZxbfRg09v9BYzuF8l_NcUoJbuLTNHpa0OQRxByDN38jf23j118I9Eu50uGxzasuu_S9RmQudgmFX0cgGME4jL9IGftmLU_k4RWgfNYPaOIWMAuJVPrTqLGWGOUA1jZbXmthZlYuW5XFsFfIKahAwRSsTLc_khgKNHGf8qbZL7aAs0-L9zfuEPqKCgOakZestb2xv-fDeUFSJ4drtTWJEVOaQ2w4hb7vTU0Q6m3KubqSmgL-BWAHNt2XLn8w53TyqNd9eVXwZ4vcKuxm9v2AWxVp5cG_VkPnQkPadN3Pr8PzWEqQ2PWkl2smbbjYZajU6wW7wI8bF_Kg2wWjlkQng_RBkbI4ValRzX7fpC_P-PY0fvUM1rhNxfFkBqUVD-XVi6umLynD6Qm1r1wKc1wmzfCJt7deKjw2sk=w400

Ebc red stuff dont give any dust really and bite good from cold

+1 for EBC Red stuff- I had them on my SL500 and barely got any dust. Sadly they don’t do the Red stuff for the 63 and I’m less impressed by the yellow stuff pads

I must be doing something wrong, because I can't find red stuff in reasonable price. I can only see £999 which can't be right? Finding anything ceramic for rear seems to be a problem, at least online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom