Ceramic catalytic converter or Metal catalytic converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rullingen

Car
190E 2.0 Auto 1992
Hey, I've just been looking at the price of catalytic converters for my 190E 2.0.

Cats Direct offer these two choices for my car:

Ceramic catalytic converter £89.14 + vat
Metal catalytic converter £242.39 + vat

Do they do the same job?
If they do, why would anyone go for metal?
What's the catch?

Rullingen.

A couple of things to investigate. First as a 1992 do you actually need a catalytic converter? I thought 1992 was the last year before they became compulsory in 1993????
Then I think the ceramic is a standard cat and the metalic one is more durable and more heavy duty. So if it were me and I had to have a cat I would go for the cheapy option as you can almost buy 3 ceramics for the price of the metalic one!!!

I'm fairly sure there is one fitted at present, so I'd never really considered removing it. if I imagine it would have some affect on the engine tuning, and emissions.

It is still solid at the mo, but the heat shield has suffered from the harsh winter and I'm not sure if Mr. MOT will pick up on it, so I was just checking out the prices.

With your year of car I wouldn't buy a catalytic converter, I'd just decat and enjoy.

I too would decat but beware you might have to remap the car if the engine management light comes on and that may not be easy. The car doesn't need a cat for the MOT but it does need to pass the emissions test

Re-map a 190!

It will run with the ECU disconnected!

I'm fairly sure there is one fitted at present, so I'd never really considered removing it. if I imagine it would have some affect on the engine tuning, and emissions.

It is still solid at the mo, but the heat shield has suffered from the harsh winter and I'm not sure if Mr. MOT will pick up on it, so I was just checking out the prices.

If it don't blow and don't rattle - don't worry! :thumb:

(awaiting humorous comments!)

:doh: I read it but it didn't register I was still thinking about a 202 from another thread :eek: Please ignore my bizarre comment :eek:

I could have take the pee really badly then but I refrained. I must be getting old(er)

:D

Thanks for the advice. :thumb:

I'm a bit of a purist where my 190E is concerned. If I can replace the cat with a standard replacement for around a ton I reckon I'll probably stick with it. :)

It's such a good car. At 19 years young and 125K miles I'm always amazed when I look underneath that the only deterioration visible is on the exhaust system.

Hats off to the boys at Bremen. :D

I'd also remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom