Ceramic coating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Guys been searching ebay for that hydrophobic ceramic coating stuff and the prices range from £5-£100 can anyone recommend one they have used which gave the results they expected for a reasonable price, tia

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you used a ceramic coating before? Only ask as you have to have the paintwork spot on before application and you’ll need to allow it to cure without getting wet etc.

Personally I’d steer clear of the £10 efforts you’ll find on the Bay.

Look into CarPro, GTechniq, Gyeon and for a slightly left field choice Migliore Strata.

Thanks, no this would be my first time using such a product I keep my car well I typically use clay bars, super resin polish then hd wax but wanted to go to the next step ie ceramic coating, is it true once applied you dont need to polish or reapply until 18mths?

Simple answer is yes, possibly longer, especially if you are adopting a good wash regime. Quite a few variables at play such as mileage, whether garaged etc.

Only thing I’d say and this is no disrespect as you may be more than capable of doing, if a ceramic coating gets bodged up on application then you are looking at having to aggressively compound off, possibly wet sand.

Personally I think a ceramic can be a bit sterile. Lots of good waxes that will give months of protection and far more pleasing to use.

Simple answer is yes, possibly longer, especially if you are adopting a good wash regime. Quite a few variables at play such as mileage, whether garaged etc.

Only thing I’d say and this is no disrespect as you may be more than capable of doing, if a ceramic coating gets bodged up on application then you are looking at having to aggressively compound off, possibly wet sand.

Personally I think a ceramic can be a bit sterile. Lots of good waxes that will give months of protection and far more pleasing to use.
Thanks, yeah I've been reading up on the process and its in depth to say the least, I think ill just stick to my regime I have as the hd wax does offer good results, could you say hd wax offers same results of ceramic coating except for the durability? Thanks again

The finish is in the prep so to speak. If the paintwork is not looking it’s best before application of whatever protection you are laying down then you are just sealing in the imperfection.

Nothing wrong with Autoglym products and the new Ultra High Def Wax is getting good reviews [emoji1360]

This is mine from today, Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid after a wash, followed up with a tester of a custom wax that I’m having made to my spec.

d3f3cbd4112cfd4aae0fba93a0a79e65.jpg

The finish is in the prep so to speak. If the paintwork is not looking it’s best before application of whatever protection you are laying down then you are just sealing in the imperfection.

Nothing wrong with Autoglym products and the new Ultra High Def Wax is getting good reviews [emoji1360]

This is mine from today, Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid after a wash, followed up with a tester of a custom wax that I’m having made to my spec.

d3f3cbd4112cfd4aae0fba93a0a79e65.jpg
Looks awesome mate, thanks for the info much appreciated.

Sorry that wasn’t to suggest mine is anything special [emoji23]

It had a tiny bit of correction maybe a few months back with Britemax Black Max on a green Chemical Guys Hexlogic pad. More of a deep clean than a polish.

Sorry that wasn’t to suggest mine is anything special [emoji23]

It had a tiny bit of correction maybe a few months back with Britemax Black Max on a green Chemical Guys Hexlogic pad. More of a deep clean than a polish.
See ill struggle to get a deep endless shine as mine is silver but still not bad for a 12 year old
b1e5305dbd118b8f14fce1f04938dcfc.jpg

I love silver, when the flake is popping there isn’t a nicer colour.

Car looks grand [emoji1305]

This is my ceramic coating, at 6 months. That was 12 months ago and it still looks just the same. Dealer applied at time of purchase.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You’ve done well on a dealer applied coating, don’t normally get particularly good reviews generally.
"Dealer applied" may no be 100% correct. I think they use a 3rd party to prep and apply.

Done properly then, rather than slapped on by the valeting apprentice during lunchbreak.

Had the sales manager trying to flog me Gard-X last weekend when buying Lucy's new car, a rather awkward conversation that ended with "Look, we both know this stuff is utter crap, the materials cost a pittance and the 'lifetime' warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Let's leave it at that and move on".

Id advise a top coat like Gtechniq Exo v3 which will offer upto 2 years protection but you wont have the scratch resistant properties like more of their base coats like crystal serum light etc... just make sure you panel wipe the vehicle after all your polishing etc so the coating can bond to the paint surface. If you have any problems applying then you can re polish the surface and thats it removed, so no fear of wetsanding/ use of correction compounds, thats your safe bet and entrance into the ceramic coating world.

I decided on Opti-Coat (coz I'm too lazy to wax and polish it ) but I had it professionally applied, because as others have said, your paintwork has to be prepared properly otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
I don't know about pricing over there, but here it was AUD $650

Mine was done 4 years ago and other than washing it properly, every week or so, nothing else has been done to it. It's also been parked outside for the last couple of years.

The racing stripes on the windscreen? ....just had a new one fitted that day :)

I love silver, when the flake is popping there isn’t a nicer colour.

Car looks grand [emoji1305]
I had a silver car and my wife's car is silver but it is so common.....was filling up the other day and every car at the pumps was silver (my wife's included).

I don't believe that it is scratch resistant ---not sure how accurate this video is but, food for thought anyway - he used pencils and was able to scratch the product!

This is my ceramic coating, at 6 months. That was 12 months ago and it still looks just the same. Dealer applied at time of purchase.

I had a 'dealer applied' Williams F1 ceramic coat applied when I bought my car ten days ago. I was skeptical about whether or not they had actually done so, and having seen the video of your car at 6 months in, I am reasonably certain that no such coat was applied!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom