ceramic coating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pretty much spot on advice from @LeeJV.

I often moonlight for my friend who is a detailer. Ceramic coating and the cost of the product is nominal. It's the preparation of the bodywork/trims/wheels that are critical and then ensuring the car is washed "safely", a large proportion of the ceramic products on the market require a top up of associated products to ensure the warranty/longevity of the product.

Applying a ceramic coating on a car which isn't prepared is in essence polishing a turd. While it will bead and offer some protection it would in effect lock in any defects the bodywork has.

Preparation is key. In actual fact the last few cars i've worked on have all been brand new mostly Ms. Today i was helping on a 2018 RS5 Sportback, boy does this car need TLC, two years of hand car washes have FUBAR'd the car.

Pricing of details and PPF will vary across the country, overheads will vary and also the size of the company. I personally would choose a small one/two/three man band as i feel you would get a better job.

In regards to PPF, this stuff is great if installed properly. I would tread carefully on who you decide to install PPF on your car and pricing does matter!

the price quoted is £165 down from £250 in a black Friday sale but seeing what some people pay both prices seem really cheap and maybe not as good as I thought.
That price would be for supply and application only bud.
The product itself is on £18.00. In the sale. So the remaining cost would cover application.

But as many others have mentioned its only as good as the top before hand
I've done loads of coatings myself and all of those need some paint correction prior to application, even a brand new cars need a minimum of a single stage paint correction prior to application.

As an average I would spend atleast a day cleaning the car, then 2/3days of paint correction before any coating is applied.

Again all this depends on budget you have but applying any form of long term sealant or coating without a full paint prep is a waste of money as its simply wont last.

PPF is a fantastic option, but that also needs paint correction prior to application to ensure any wash marring and scratches have been removed prior. Otherwise these will all be locked under the PPF, and or coating.

I've never really found this to be the case, Supaguard (rebranded as Star Guard for MB) is a well known product. I think the problem is not with the product itself but how it is applied by certain dealers and how it is maintained. I've had three cars from the same MB dealer, the latest car picked up up just a few weeks ago. All of them had Supaguard applied correctly and have stood the test of time. We also have a 2014 W204 in the family bought new from the same dealer and applied with Supaguard and regularly maintained with the supplied kit. The car is now six years old and still looks good.
Its a well know product alright, but maybe better well known for being upsold and lining the salesmans pockets.
I'd say if you do a quick search on here, or even google, the general consensus is that its not a good product.

Its a well know product alright, but maybe better well known for being upsold and lining the salesmans pockets.
I'd say if you do a quick search on here, or even google, the general consensus is that its not a good product.

I'm well aware of what others think of it, personally I've never had any issues with the product of felt that it was being upsold to me. Horses for courses I suppose.

As mentioned before, it's all in the preparation of the paint, clay, polish, apply....

I have used Gtechniq and Nanolex over the years with the Nanolex the easier to apply.

I have just bought carbon collective ceramic coating, its a 2 layer system with 7 years of protection, my guy im going to use to apply it says its a very good product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom