Ceramic Coatings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BMF

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C220 (W205) 2015 Bluetec Sport Premium Plus
I have seen various ads for this stuff in the various generic names it comes in and I fancy trying this on my W205 but would like to know if it can be applied to wet bodywork (after wash & rinse) and is it ok to get it on the windscreen?

I'm getting this applied to my C43 when it arrives - bodywork, wheels and glass. In my opinion it's worth getting it done by a professional.

Even as an avid "detailer" thought this was "snake oil".

Prepared my car thoroughly (clay, IPA, etc). Applied it last summer. Car lives outside come rain or shine.

Astonished how good it is plus longevity. I am a convert.

I'm getting this applied to my C43 when it arrives - bodywork, wheels and glass. In my opinion it's worth getting it done by a professional.

I have had a quick cast around on T'internet for my area but have yet to find one.

Even as an avid "detailer" thought this was "snake oil".

Prepared my car thoroughly (clay, IPA, etc). Applied it last summer. Car lives outside come rain or shine.

Astonished how good it is plus longevity. I am a convert.

What is the name of the kit you used, where from and how much? (if I may be so nosey).

BMF - you may struggle to get hold of it without a friend ;)

Gyeon Q2 MOHS. Paid £100. He showed me how to apply to one panel and then I undertook the rest of the car.

Reactions: BMF

Gyeon Q2 MOHS. Paid £100. He showed me how to apply to one panel and then I undertook the rest of the car.

Thanks for the info T5R+, This product is available to purchase online, a bit pricey but that's probably testament as to how good it is, there is also YouTube tutorials too ;)

Gyeon stuff is good products, i always use their bathe+ to wash my car

I've actually just had my car detailed (stage 1 + Gyeon Quartz applied to body/glass/wheels)

I've had a few maintenance washes since being applied and i'm amazed at how it looks after each wash. Also washing it now with the coating is night and day, so much so i've literally just ordered a bunch of Gyeon products.

Also placed an order for a DI Vessel to give the car a final rinse (dry). Something like this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm glad i asked the dealer not to prep the car, it felt like my car collection was from the detailer rather than the dealership lol.

As per others have stated some brands won't sell their ceramic products to non detailers so if you wish to apply it yourself you may have to contact a "friend" or find a brand which doesn't have this stipulation.

Good luck nonetheless.

Last edited:
Have a look on this thread:

9Hnano coating

I’ve posted a link with a couple of interesting videos/demonstrations of these coatings :)

Thanks Will, didn't see that thread! I had seen the videos but wasn't sure how genuine they were. Reading the thread, looks like these cheap ones are pretty good :thumb:

Hello.

John here I own Deadeye Detailing.

Ceramic Coatings are extramly good so long as you know their limits.

Firstly anything you see on eBay or Facebook forget it.

There are many ceramic coating companies out there that produce off-the-shelf ceramics also. Well these are much better they are still not true Ceramics.

An approved detailer only product is a much better option its viscosity is a lot higher and depending on the product can leave a thickness on top of the clear coat that can be read on a paint depth gauge. I'm fortunate enough to be approved by 4 ceramic coating companies and I'm able to offer advice to all our customers as to which coating suits their particular car and for what reason.

From now on when I refer to ceramic coatings I am talking about approved detailer coatings only as the off-the-shelf coatings are miles away from these products.

We do coatings that range from 18 months to up to 10 years expected lifespan.

Some coatings require a 2-part system, you put a base layer down which provides you with a harder layer but is lacking gloss and hydrophobic it, for that reason this type of product requires a topcoat often called a light version of the bottom Coat. I have an issue with these products as the top coat generally doesn't last more than 12 months and you lose your hydrophobic effect something which is expected from a ceramic, not only that these products also marked much more easily.

Many ceramic companies now offer a single layer coating that provides both the hardness the glass and the hydrophobic effect this does not then have a top coat so as can be expected does not have a sacrificial layer that will fail.

It's important to know as well that some ceramics require maintenance from the detailer. Some companies require you to have a regular maintenance wash up to 4 times a year where has silica spray sealant is applied on top of the ceramic, in my mind this is cheating the customer as the silica spray sealant is giving you an illusion that the ceramic is still there when in a lot of cases it isn't.

All the ceramics we use week infrared cure on a shortwave infrared curer this makes sure the coating dries from the Inside Out and can add to longevity.

Most importantly with any ceramic is the prep work the prep is key. If you don't put the prep work in you may as well not bother.

If anyone ever needs any advice just paying me a pm I'm not touting for business but will always offer you free advice or point you in the right direction.

Bought some no-name ceramic coating from a Chinese supplier (Tomtop.com) for about 3 quid.

Fantastically easy to apply (just use it like Mr Sheen) great finish, and has outlasted any of the dozens of waxes I've tried over the years.

All that for 3 quid.....I'm sold!

Bought some no-name ceramic coating from a Chinese supplier (Tomtop.com) for about 3 quid.

Fantastically easy to apply (just use it like Mr Sheen) great finish, and has outlasted any of the dozens of waxes I've tried over the years.

All that for 3 quid.....I'm sold!
I've just bought some of this. It's the nano stuff you can use on phones. Will put it on wheels and see if it keeps them cleaner / easier to clean.

Halfords do this stuff now. Not sure if it's any good, maybe they are just jumping on the bandwagon...again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom