- Mar 23, 2013
- London & Dublin
- Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Same here (SW France), but it says 89% nuclear.Interesting post grober. Our electricity bill (we live in france) shows a breakdown on the method of generation and we are 85% nuclear here in north west france the remaining 15% being renewables , there are lots of wind turbines around now. However diesel makes a lot of sense if you live here as distances driven are far greater albeit the french themselves do not travel the long commuting distances so normal now in the uk. But visiting friends and family and even your nearest major centre is generally a 60km round trip. We clock up 20000 km pa just day to day shopping and visiting friends with holidays on top and no work commuting.
Also were'nt mercedes traditionally the biggest diesel engine builders? Given all the commercial traffic is diesel powered it seems it will be a difficult task to clean up air quality........have to say you hardly see any smoky diesels here now, the odd one but they are not the norm as they once were........
A cheap filter fixes that. Manufacturers aren't jumping to it until mandated to.Attacking GDI engine particulate emissions - SAE International
"It may be surprising to learn that the modern gasoline direct-injection (GDI) engines in today’s passenger cars can emit more hazardous fine particulate matter than a port fuel-injected engine (PFI), or even the latest heavy-duty diesels equipped with a particulate filter"
Germany!When it came to deciding which technology to adopt to reduce CO2 emissions for EU-- should we go petrol/hybrid like the rest of the developed world- or should we go diesel--- I'll give you one guess as to which major EU PLAYER would be lobbying for the diesel alternative.
Wouldn't disagree. I was perhaps going back a bit further historically to a time when Mercedes Diesels were mainly taxis, but since the 21rst century that has certainly changed. So with the two major car producing EU nations of France and Germany lobbying for diesel and what remained of the Italian and British car industries in decline the result was probably inevitable. The last UK bastion of small petrol car manufacture apparently being the Japanese [ excluding Nissan/ Renault ]who had opted for "the way of the spark plug"Germany!
Simply, France introduced the Diesel engine to small cars. The Germans then ran with the idea to larger and larger cars giving you what you all adore - the big car with the little fuel bill. Germany makes a shed load more money selling Diesel engined cars, SUVs, etc than France does.
A cheap filter fixes that. Manufacturers aren't jumping to it until mandated to.
Probabaly. They could of course just buy a car with the power (they think) they want that delivers with filter left in place....Even if they are ever mandated, there will no doubt be floods of threads on car forums on how to remove the filter to improve performance...
NOx limits for petrols have been easily met for years but now Diesels have to meet the same standard they require all manner of exhaust treatment.And it won't help with Nox emissions...
The NOx emissions from GDI vehicles are significantly higher than conventionally petrol vehicles; this is well illustrated by numerous studied [Lu 2000, Hall 1999]. The lean burn principle of the GDI requires other type of NOx after-treatment device than TWC [Li 2009a], the development of after-treatment technology for GDI will not be further discussed here.