CH4 Dispatches - The Great Car Con.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probabaly. They could of course just buy a car with the power (they think) they want that delivers with filter left in place....

NOx limits for petrols have been easily met for years but now Diesels have to meet the same standard they require all manner of exhaust treatment.

''Traditionally the EU limits for diesel NOx emissions are
significantly higher than for petrol cars. The scenario will be changed in Euro 6
regulations, the NOx limits for diesel vehicles will be at the similar levels as petrol cars, thanks to the potential brought by the rapidly developed after-treatment technology.''

The same treatment is available for petrol engines should their limit be lowered. Is there anything on the horizon for the Diesel if its limits are further reduced?

edit PS
Lots of info re GDI filters (from 2014) here >> Engine Technology International - March 2014

Indeed, it says - "the gpf as already mentioned is one option at this stage when looking at Euro6c but it is not necessarily the best one to preserve fuel consumption, engine power and engine cost".

So they could fit filters but not without increasing fuel consumption, reducing power output and even adding noticeably to build cost - maybe that's why they aren't fitted?
Not much point building a 'cleaner' engine that doesn't work very well...

Indeed, it says - "the gpf as already mentioned is one option at this stage when looking at Euro6c but it is not necessarily the best one to preserve fuel consumption, engine power and engine cost".

So they could fit filters but not without increasing fuel consumption, reducing power output and even adding noticeably to build cost - maybe that's why they aren't fitted?

In fairness one man's view and, given the already accepted low fitment cost it's questionable by what magnitude the fuel efficiency and power output are degraded. But, it is true, that to meet increasingly tough emission regs efficiency is inevitably compromised. Nowhere more so than with the Diesel (source the article in an earlier edition of the same mag and see what Subaru had to do to make their CI motor Euro 6 compliant)...

Not much point building a 'cleaner' engine that doesn't work very well...

...which would be the Diesel's death knell then... (It's the trajectory the CI has been on for e few years now).

The three diesels I've bought in the past have been purely down to a lot more bang for your buck in comparison to the petrol version at the same price point in the range and therefore more fun to drive, don't do enough miles to be too bothered about better consumption.

Now they seem to have sussed reliably blowing small petrol engines without making them ridiculously thirsty I probably wouldn't go for another.

Diesels are so much more than just car engines...

And a 2-stroke to boot if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps Renault are on the right track after all...

By my calculation (for you torque junkies) the Wart is making around 5.5million lbs.ft.

And a 2-stroke to boot if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps Renault are on the right track after all...

By my calculation (for you torque junkies) the Wart is making around 5.5million lbs.ft.

But it's not a Deltic ....

Size isn't everything.:thumb:

But it's not a Deltic ....

Size isn't everything.:thumb:

The Deltic was good. The Nomad something else again. Until those pesky jet engines came along and banished piston engines from all but the smallest planes. A lesson there perhaps. That the Diesel engine in the passenger car may go the way of the piston engine in planes. Made obsolete by a new technology that more easily meets the objectives, though in the case of the car it will not survive even in small cars. Especially not in small cars.

The Deltic was good. The Nomad something else again.

I don't really think of the Nomad as a real diesel engine. I'm a luddite. And Deltics actually went out (and still go out occasionally) to work for a living.

I was at East Fortune back in March and one of the staff members was kind enough to take some time to go into quite a bit of detail about the Nomad 1 they have on display. It's an interesting concept.

I don't really think of the Nomad as a real diesel engine. I'm a luddite. And Deltics actually went out (and still go out occasionally) to work for a living.

True, the Deltic was a workhorse (when I lived in Aberdeen I used to hear the 10pm train entering the tunnel at Rosemount and I'll never forget the rich burble emitted), the Nomad more an exploration as to what could have been. Stillborn in a sense.

I was at East Fortune back in March and one of the staff members was kind enough to take some time to go into quite a bit of detail about the Nomad 1 they have on display. It's an interesting concept.

I had no idea there was a Nomad in Scotland. I now have a bucket list! (one item).Cheers for that!

True, the Deltic was a workhorse (when I lived in Aberdeen I used to hear the 10pm train entering the tunnel at Rosemount and I'll never forget the rich burble emitted), the Nomad more an exploration as to what could have been. Stillborn in a sense.

The "baby deltic" t9 engine is quite a fruity sounding beast too, sadly I wasn't around to hear them working for a living.

I had no idea there was a Nomad in Scotland. I now have a bucket list! (one item).Cheers for that!

It's tucked away at East Fortune in the entrance to one of the smaller buildings (Fantastic Flight ISTR) - by itself and rather anonymous - looking very shiny though. Very little written explanation (interpretation?) when I was there.

Oddly enough when I was in USA a while back I came across a Nomad at the Smithsonian's big out of town museum near Dulles -the one with the SR71 and the Space Shuttle.

True, the Deltic was a workhorse (when I lived in Aberdeen I used to hear the 10pm train entering the tunnel at Rosemount and I'll never forget the rich burble emitted),

55022 Royal Scots Grey has been based at what remains of the St Rollox works Springburn for something like 18 months - and actually does some real work despite being in preservation.

It comes out every so often (usually weekends) to go to the depot at Yoker and then down to the workshops at Kilmarnock transferring EMUs that are being overhauled. It also does the odd passenger charter and has done turns at recent diesel Bo'Ness events.

I remember seeing the original Deltic at Kings Cross when we came back from a school camping trip to North Wales. Quite exciting at the time, sad though that it heralded the end of steam.

It's tucked away at East Fortune in the entrance to one of the smaller buildings (Fantastic Flight ISTR) - by itself and rather anonymous - looking very shiny though. Very little written explanation (interpretation?) when I was there.

This perchance? :D The Owners-Club had their end of season meet there last year.

This perchance? :D

Definitely that one.:thumb:

As you can see - it's not labeled - there's nothing to say what it is.

While I was trying to describe it to a young accomplice who has now started an engineering degree there was a staff member who came and took over and gave a much much better rundown than I ever could.

THE INNARDS
1280px-Napier_Deltic_Engine.jpg

GIVING IT SOME BEANS!

[YOUTUBE HD]3O4IdRWnL1k[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom