Chain like rattle, auxilary belt tensioner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyW202

Car
2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
I've only had the car awhile, but I've noticed say when parked near a wall, the resonance is very chainy, often squeaky...

I've just changed the Oil with 5w-40 Fully Synthetic and the stuff that came out wasn't half bad, so I'd assume it isn't a tappet issue.

There is a definately chainy noise as if the car is going to stall, despite being an automatic and the idle speed not dropping dangerously low, when on full lock and in drive or reverse (which obviously drops the revs slightly as the engine is working harder) seems to only be noticable over the hot days we've had.

Been advised that it could be the shock absorber on the belt tensioner... although my M111 C200 doesn't seem to have this damper, the Belt needs changing anyway for piece of mind...

So what do I need to change. Looked on ebay, there looks to be a few solid state pulleys and a automatic belt tensioner... I've looked and looked around the front of my engine bay, no damper! There's a tensioner with a torx/bolt on it which says tighten/loosen on it.

Little help?

Before guessing get a mechanic to have a look rather than bolting parts to it in hope. Tensioners rarely givevtrouble on the 111. The tensioner damper can be retrofitted if you need too. This will stop the belt flapping on full lock when under load.

Before guessing get a mechanic to have a look rather than bolting parts to it in hope. Tensioners rarely givevtrouble on the 111. The tensioner damper can be retrofitted if you need too. This will stop the belt flapping on full lock when under load.

How would I go about retrofitting this dampening device?

Just get one from mb with the bolts and fit it. It is very straight forward as the mounting points are there already.

Do you know when they changed the tensioner design to include the damper? and why it was changed?

Are any of the pulleys on the drive mechanism prone to failing, or should I just retrofit the damper along with a new belt?

Not too sure when they changed it.

Check all pulleys for wear and change them accordingly when the belt is off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom