Chain noise, Help!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaiex

Car
'08 CLK320CDI sport
Hi all,

My SC220CDI engine is making a strange noise, it sounds like a chain or something metallic, that gradually increase as rpm rise!

Doing this noise for 40000km, and being noticeably loud with time. The noise is nothing exaggerated but its not normal, and I have afraid of damaging something, but the problem is finding the problem with major expenses!

-The noise is not present when the engine is cold, after warming up it starts to make the noise.
-The noise is very hard to look from where its from, but looks like at the passenger side, front top of the engine.
-With the belt off the noise is still there.
-I tried new vacuum pump, high pressure pump, and not tried yet the diesel pump, all the parts where the noise looks to came from!

Went to MB dealer, and they changed my chain tensioner, but the noise is still there!
Than the tech said that they have to open the valves cover to look inside, the noise looks like the chain inside the engine and they have to look, or... it could be the chain of the oil pump, and for that have to remove the engine off!!!!!!!!!!

It had to be hydraulic relationed, since when cold there is no noise!

Any opinions what to do, or suggestions?
I don't know what to do!

Last edited:
There's a chain guide (sometimes two) made from plastic, its possible these could wear or be broken causing metal to metal contact.

Hi all,

My SC220CDI engine is making a strange noise, it sounds like a chain or something metallic, that gradually increase as rpm rise!

Doing this noise for 40000km, and being noticeably loud with time. The noise is nothing exaggerated but its not normal, and I have afraid of damaging the noise, but the problem is finding the problem with major expenses!

-The noise is not present when the engine is cold, after warming up it starts to make the noise.
-The noise is very hard to look from where its from, but looks like at the passenger side, front top of the engine.
-With the belt off the noise is still there.
-I tried new vacuum pump, high pressure pump, and not tried yet the diesel pump, all the parts where the noise looks to came from!

Went to MB dealer, and they changed my chain tensioner, but the noise is still there!
Than the tech said that they have to open the valves cover to look inside, the noise looks like the chain inside the engine and they have to look, or... it could be the chain of the oil pump, and for that have to remove the engine off!!!!!!!!!!

It had to be hydraulic relationed, since when cold there is no noise!

Any opinions what to do, or suggestions?
I don't know what to do!
Going by your post, literatire, You are a foreign natiomal ? No problem with that, but you may be getting ripped off

There's a chain guide (sometimes two) made from plastic, its possible these could wear or be broken causing metal to metal contact.

Yes there is, but its not a comon problem in OM611 engines I think!

PS: My car is a 4/2003 Sport coupe and I only have 110000km!

Going by your post, literatire, You are a foreign natiomal ? No problem with that, but you may be getting ripped off

I'm from Portugal and I have the car since 15000km and 1 year old, bougth in 2004 at MB dealer in germany.

It would be more normal for the rattling to be prevelent when cold if it was a mechanical item.
What exactly does it sound like?

If you listen around the engine with an engine stethoscope you should be able to detect where the noise is from and whether it's mechanical or combustion related.
Noise can travel around the engine and appear to be from somewhere it's not.

If the engine is revved then allowed to fall back to idle does the noise go until the engine idles again, or is it always there and is htere any change.?
If it's at the top of the engine it could be tappet related but the should be a regular tapping at 1/8 engine speed.

It could be combustion noise in which case a strong dose of injector cleaner may help.

It would be more normal for the rattling to be prevelent when cold if it was a mechanical item.
What exactly does it sound like?

If you listen around the engine with an engine stethoscope you should be able to detect where the noise is from and whether it's mechanical or combustion related.
Noise can travel around the engine and appear to be from somewhere it's not.

If the engine is revved then allowed to fall back to idle does the noise go until the engine idles again, or is it always there and is htere any change.?
If it's at the top of the engine it could be tappet related but the should be a regular tapping at 1/8 engine speed.

It could be combustion noise in which case a strong dose of injector cleaner may help.

-The noise is noticeable only when the engine is hot
-My mechanics already used a engine stethoscope, but the noise its not easy to find where it came from
-the noise its not combustion related, its metallic, like a chain rolling
-
its always there, only turns a bit louder when giving more rpm.

Can you explain better?
I know that it could be some problem with valves, but like I've been told, could also be the vibrator from the engine polie (I don't remember the technical word)

Noise caused by??:
-n.º 119 (changed)
-95, 101, 113
-41 (could be 1 or more!?)

nostinic1.jpg

kiristimettl2.jpg

vrinvaimenningg1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom