chain tensioner where is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

podmo

Car
c200
hi all, in the process of lifting the head off my 2003 c200 1.8 kompressor, having got to the stage where i need to remove the tensioner, now all i can see on the side of the chain cover is a 4cm diameter black rubber circle, is it behind this? its right behind where the alternator was which the nice haynes book told me to remove to get to the tensioner to unbolt it,sadly no photos to go with the instruction, its not the 111 engine(would of been a help if it was) but the 271 engine, if it is this black disc shaped seal how do i get into it?

if you have not removed the alternator yet i suggest you do. i think the tensioner is very low down on the case and would expect it to have an 8 or 10mm hex socket head, very low profile. there is a cheat that can be employed but it is tricky and involves wedging the tensioner to ensure it cannot ratchet out before removing cams. if i were you i would not try this!

ah yes i have removed the alternator,and all the is is the black rubber disc,its like a seal about the size of a oreo there is nothing else there alexander,im guessing the hex head would be behind this?

a photograph may help. my colleagues have removed heads on these cars for valve wear problems but i was probably busy with the laptop at the time. presumably this 'disk' is not easily removed, have you tried pulling?

You need to remove the black 'disk' ,screw a self tapping screw into and pull it out ,if your not carefull it can be pushed in and drop into the engine which canbe a pain to get back out.The tensioner is behind it ,17mm socket .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom