Chalk and Cheese ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guyvert1

Car
E55K Estate - Will be missed
Well today was a good day, I finally got to compare two estates back to back , an E63 and E55 :)

Probably not the kindest day for it but it had to be done...

First was the E63, 38k on clock, all the toys you could want. Must admit, the car was very good condition, couldn't really fault it inside/out. Dealer gave me the keys and let me go out solo, which was nice. The car felt very good, taught and ready for action. Took a nice drive through some country roads, both in soft and sport modes, again, very tight, felt really well sorted. On the few open stretches I found, put the windows down and went for it, all I can say is I was loving it !. The sound, oh the sound, I could of convinced myself there and then this is the one, but tried my hardest to keep my head in check. Handling was better than expected, especially considering the rain!. Tried out the paddles, dare I say it felt nicer then the M5 I had some time ago, very smooth and boy it goes well. The 6.2 N/A engine with 7sp box all seemed perfectly matched. I was worried at this point how I would take to the E55 !

Anyway, had a good 40mins, eventually figured out how to get back to the dealer, enjoyed it a lot. Chatted to the dealer about pricing, it was recently knocked down from £26k to £24k,but was pretty much stonewalled, which I was surprised at , thought he'd bite my arm off, can't be many buyers for these about ! Nevertheless, I wasn’t going to push until I’d tried both.

So headed off to try the E55. Private sale, 69k on clock and even more options than the E63.

First thing I noticed was the interior felt old in comparison, but thankfully I'm not that fussed, coming from a 1990's porca this was still luxury :)

Car had obviously been cared for, been part of the family by the looks of it ;) Good history of maintainance. Generally in good condition for age/mileage, but not E63 good.

I was chomping at the bit to drive it.. Owner came with me, but was a nice guy so happy for me to play. One thing I can say for sure, it doesn't sound like the E63, especially when idle :crazy:

Pottered out of town, felt a little less urgent than the E63, more laid back. When I finally got a chance to open it up I was smiling. With the E63 , power felt sharper, definitely a lot more free revving, the power in the E55 'whooshed' in. I distinctly remember when I put my foot down hard, it felt like the old girl needed a second to sort some stuff out, but then made up for that by sending you on your way on the crest of a torque wave. I was hooked ! The more I tried the more I wanted. It felt cheeky, rather than spine tingling like the E63. Had a good drive about in various conditions and modes, no issues at all.

Trying to compare the two is tough. Its like comparing two boxers, one young, full of beans, fit as fook, dancing around every round. The other, and old boy who’s been in the game a while, hard as nails and if you’re unlucky enough to get caught, you’re going down :D

The E63 is a stunning piece of kit and would not hesitate to buy one, but the E55 at 'over' half the price, albeit a bit further on in its life is just too good a bargain to miss, not to mention the felting capabilities :devil:

So after a bit of haggling I pick the E55 up Tuesday :bannana:

Attachments

• e55-63.jpg
    e55-63.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
Supercharger :D

OP quote:
'I distinctly remember when I put my foot down hard, it felt like the old girl needed a second to sort some stuff out, but then made up for that by sending you on your way on the crest of a torque wave'

This is part of the character of the 55k engine. Mine is exactly the same when you go from pottering around at 1200 rpm, then you floor it it takes a second or two to wake up...

The reason for this is 'open loop' and 'closed loop' maps that this engine uses. It has an electrically operated clutch on the supercharger which disengages the blower under light throttle loads,(closed loop). When you floor the throttle it switches to 'open loop' and engages the supercharger and the car takes off like a scalded cat. You will find that if you keep the engine ' on the boil ' as it were with the manual shifters the car is every bit as responsive as the E63.

Savman explains better than I can in his posts on the subject.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1751659-post23.html

Glad you found one in the end. The E55 estate is a pretty rare beast!

I haven't driven an E63, but your comparison is pretty much exactly what I would imagine.

For relatively little outlay, you can transform the 55K with Eurocharged remap, supercharger pulley and TCU map. All well worth it and make a massive difference to an already impressive car.

Enjoy:thumb:

Good review

Glad you got yourself a beast

Thanks guys :)

I woke up this morning like a petulant child, just want it now ..

Once I've had a good play around for a few weeks I shall definitely be considering some bits'n'bobs to get the old girl fighting fit :)

What a nice decision to be faced with! :) thanks for sharing your findings. Enjoy the 55, it's a beast!

thanks for the write-up and congratulations on you new purchase.

Enjoy

Thanks guys :)

I woke up this morning like a petulant child, just want it now ..

Once I've had a good play around for a few weeks I shall definitely be considering some bits'n'bobs to get the old girl fighting fit :)

I've been without my car for 3 days this week and that was bad enough. I really love the E55 especially in estate form as I don't think many people know what it is.

I know you have been reading various threads so I'm sure you will know this anyway, but get your ic pump checked out straight away. Mine had failed and I didn't even know it until it was being tuned on a dyno. I generally don't drive my car that hard and hadn't noticed it had failed. Car would be fine on accelerating hard but power would cut on repeated pulls. I think mine was probably the original pump so had been in the car for best part of 9 years. New pump made a massive difference. From what I have read since we should probably be looking at pump replacement every 3 years or so.

Great write up. Welcome to the 55 Kompressor Club.

excellent comparison write up and spot on too!

I think you made the right choice, but im biased ;)

as your local and if you need any tips give me a shout!

IC pump is top of the list for sure ..

Alps , nice to know someone local has a wealth of experience :)

Well written, straight off the cuff review, thanks for sharing and congrats on the "55" choice :thumb:

I think the 55k is the better all round engine. It's also more tougher.

I love the surge of the 55K.
At half throttle it feels twice as powerful as the 63.

+ Revving motors are best left to 2 wheeled vehicles IMO ;-)

Good choice!

Welcome to the 55k club:thumb:

There is definitely something special about this engine. One of Mercedes finest moments.

A great write up on both experiences :thumb:.

There's no doubt that a 63 has to be worked harder to show it's
performance - under 5000rpm it's less urgent - over 5000rpm - BOOM!.

There are various routes to that fab 63 exhaust note on a 55.

The 55 wheels are nicer too.

Don't forget copious amounts of photos...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom