Chalk? In a first aid kit! Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesBent

Car
C200 Sport, CBR 600F 06
Was tinkering with car at weekend and in the back shelf is a first aid kit.

Just out of curiosity thought I'd have a look and see what's in it.

One of the items listed (and in the kit) was a stick of chalk.

Now unless it's to outline lemmings once mowed down, could not think what chalk is used for in first aid?

Any clever/med people out there care to shine a light on my ignorance?

To mark the scene of the accident? ie this car stopped here, this person lay here?? You must have seen Quincy!

In the first aid kit???

Why not with the triangle and other accident/breakdown stuff in boot?? :confused:

You'd forget to look for it as it is so small. In the first aid kit you are prompted to remember that you might need to mark the scene.

It's incase you have to move the vehicle and mark it's position, like you would probably remember anyway.??

Possibly this may be it, but actually I don’t know

Attachments

• chalk.jpg
    chalk.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 166
MercedesBent said:
Was tinkering with car at weekend and in the back shelf is a first aid kit.

Just out of curiosity thought I'd have a look and see what's in it.

One of the items listed (and in the kit) was a stick of chalk.

Now unless it's to outline lemmings once mowed down, could not think what chalk is used for in first aid?

Any clever/med people out there care to shine a light on my ignorance?

Chalk .... as a hand powder to give better grip, to mark the scene of an incident, to write down a number plate on the road, to mark your car.

All seem to be guesses!!

Starbright's info seems quite useful, but why specifically in a car 1st aid kit?

Can only think battery acid - but who licks theif fingers after spilling battery acid on themselves??? :confused:

MercedesBent said:
All seem to be guesses!!

Starbright's info seems quite useful, but why specifically in a car 1st aid kit?

Can only think battery acid - but who licks theif fingers after spilling battery acid on themselves??? :confused:

If you are going to drink the stuff then you would need ..... hmmm ..... pH 1 with the molarity of the acid and the relatively insoluble chalk .....

What if you are in the dessert and its not raining ...... now thats what I call a dry mouth.

What about the chalk being for your kids to be entertained writing on the asphalt while you wait for the tow truck. :) :) :)
Actually managing young kids, when they are bored, can be a very time and nerve consuming activity. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Now back to being serious, isn’t here any doctor who may enlighten us?

Could it be an Aluminium Sulphate Styptic Pencil?

From a olde worlde of medicines site....

Q: What are some common folk remedies that actually work?
A: Aspirin is made of the same salicylic acid in willow bark, a remedy prescribed by Egyptian doctors over 3,500 years ago. Hand creams for softening skin often contain urea, which people in the past applied to their skin in the form of urine. One-a-day style vitamin pills contain vitamins A and D, both found in cod liver oil that children were forced to take by the daily spoonful in the 1800s. Many antacids contain calcium carbonate (limestone), most commonly found as chalk and ingested since time immemorial for acid stomach.

My guess is Starbright's answer is the closest!!

Perhaps its to mark road kills on the side of the door....

It would appear to be a Euro regulation, with no explanation?? Par for the course from them. :eek:

Euro Uk

Guidance card 1 1
Assorted plasters 20 20
Triangular bandage 2 1
Safety pins 12 6
Medium sterile dressing 12x12cm 3 2
Large sterile dressing 18x18cm 1 1
Alcohol free wipes 6 6
Cotton bandages 9 1
First aid scissors 1 1
Vynil gloves 2prs 1pr
Winderscreen stickers 1 1