Challenge: can anyone recognise this part?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedescls350

Car
Mercedes CLS350
Hi all,

Bit of a challenge - a piece of metal has just fallen off my car (Mercedes CLS 350, 2005/55).

I've attached two photos, one with a 20p piece for scale.

I need to drive about 150 miles home this evening, so, can anyone tell me 1) what this part is and 2) is it safe to drive back?

There was a clunk when the car was parked and when I started driving this part fell off into the road.

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Tim

Attachments

• mercedes component1.JPG
    mercedes component1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 81
  • mercedes component2.JPG
    mercedes component2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 80
Looking at it, it is part of a coil spring. More than likely its a rear spring thats broken.

It looks like the coil of a spring (but perhaps smaller) - has it dropped at all?

If it's a rear spring you will be OK to drive, if it's a front one check carefully as the rest of the spring is likely to drop down the leg and the front of the car collapse.

I think it could be part of a coil spring...does anyone else think so too? What does the op think it could be?:doh:

Broken coil spring !

+1 - definitely looks like it - lucky it went when you parked - they make a hell of a bang if they go when cornering.
BTW if one goes, it may not be long before the one on the opposite side goes

Definitely the end of a coil spring .
Always best to replace in pairs.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Absolutely bang on - it was a coil spring. In fact it was the front offside one which went.

Luckily we didn't drive the car far (about 0.5 miles) back to our guest's house so no damage done as far as we know.

Car departed about 30 minutes ago on a low loader courtesy of Green Flag to the local independent garage.

Sounds like replacing both sides will be a good idea then?

Tim

Always replace in sets

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Shame it's not gone to a Merc independent garage, as they will be more familiar with the suspension points system that Merc uses and the relevance of linking the part number to the VIN and spec of car.

Actually it is a Mercedes independent. I found them on Google while I was waiting for the recovery vehicle to arrive. So far they have been very efficient over the phone, which bodes well !

Had a quote for £520 to replace both sides.

Could anyone comment as to whether that sounds about right?

Thanks a lot

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom