Chances of getting a ticket from France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Well maybe the MPH/KMH thing had me a little confused and the car was driving itself a little to hastily on the lovely clear motorways in France...

Any chance of me seeing a ticket? Initial googling leaves me relieved...

From my experience, zero chance. You'll have got away with it :)

the french authorities might get your details from DVLA but its not enforceable (unless you go back in the same vehicle and get caught speeding by a policeman who does a realtime check and finds there is an outstanding fine). They could 'potentially' run a vehicle check at the port and tug you then too.

Personally I would ignore it and just not use that vehicle again in France (not like you havenot got enough to chose from anyway:D)

well its unlikely we will be going across in the same car ever again... maybe the same plate though as its a private reg! seems far fetched though doesnt it!

well its unlikely we will be going across in the same car ever again... maybe the same plate though as its a private reg! seems far fetched though doesnt it!
If you hear nothing (the most likely outcome) then that's the end of it. However, if you do hear something and ignore it then the private plate may be an issue if you drive in France again as it will flag up an outstanding infraction should you ever get a roadside tug from the Gendarmes, or if you are involved in a collision.

I've been going to mainland Europe for the last 20 years, the last 10 of which have been with the same plate and for 7 years the same car and plate. Still waiting for them to 'catch' me. :)

Are there many of these in France?
camera.jpg

Lots of speed cameras over there... My tom tom was alerting me so often, my brain just blanked the noise out after a while!
And they are not flourescent yellow like ours... they are hidden pretty well and look like an old grey box about the size of a wheelie bin.

I was nicked by a police motorbike, on the spot 90 Euro's (got a receipt) approx 95mph. I am pretty sure I have gone through plenty of cameras over the last 10 years when visiting Le Mans going over the magic 130Kph. Not a sausage in the post with a french postage timbre. UK authorities will not go debt chasing on behalf of the Gendarmes :bannana::bannana:
I would say you will be fine.:thumb:

I got flashed a few years in France on the motorway and never heard anything. I wouldn't worry about it

The funny thing with the French ones is they seem to be quite low down. Usually fairly well signed though I think.

Unless you actually get stopped by the cops and hauled to a cash machine though you shouldn't have a problem. Our lot should take people to cash machines here too.

m.

French speed cameras are small grey towers about one metre tall and there's always a warning sign exactly 100m before them. It looks like a radar catching a car and motorcycle...

533-SpeedCamera_2.jpg

100m really isn't much when you're already 50 to 70kph over the limit :)

At the moment the only way you'll get nicked is by a French cop flagging you down and issuing you with an on the spot fine. No points though.

From 2013 on, though, the DVLA database will be linked with the equivalent one in France and speeding tickets will start to cross borders - so fines and points from cops and cameras in France and other countries will find their way over here....you have been warned.

I've already got a 2011 holiday planned in France for the E500. Must book the 2012 one soon......

Have there not already been threads on here regarding fines being sent here from Italy ?

I seem to recall drivers of rental cars finding that the rental companies just pay the fine then charge the customer's credit card leaving little room to argue .

Fines were both for things like speeding and for driving in prohibited areas of cities .

Infractions of low emmission zones are likely to bring the same result .

Have there not already been threads on here regarding fines being sent here from Italy ?

I seem to recall drivers of rental cars finding that the rental companies just pay the fine then charge the customer's credit card leaving little room to argue .

Fines were both for things like speeding and for driving in prohibited areas of cities .

Infractions of low emmission zones are likely to bring the same result .

A rental car registered in the same country as the offence is surely a completely different kettle of fish to a foreign car registered in another country. I can fully understand rental companies passing on fines.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom