Change Battery on C240

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by g14, Oct 11, 2008.

1. g14

g14 New Member

Hi,
    I am quite new to this forum and I would appriciate any help. The battery on my C240 (2003) is dead - I was just told by the chap from RAC.
    I can get a new battery from GSF / Euro Carp parts. Is there anything I should do in any particular order when changing the battery.
    Thank You

2. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Yes - remove the negative terminal first then the positive. Refit in reverse order. Whilst the battery is out take the opportunity to clear out all the crap around the battery tray (assume it is in the engine bay - do not know your model) and then put some vaseline or copper grease on the battery terminals before connecting up.
    try Costco, or look in yellow pages for big volume battery suppliers or big motor factors - they may be cheaper than GSF or ECP. Bosch and Varta are the top end quality; dont buy a cheap one you will regret it.

3. nickcc101

nickcc101 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2001 S203 C180 auto estate (sold)
    Make sure you have the code for the radio before you disconnect. You can buy a power supply that plugs into the lighter socket which should hold the power to the radio and not require re-input of the code.

4. Iain

Iain Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK230k ML270cdi
    Try to get the largest capacity you can afford. I suggest the 250TD option assuming that you have the W202 model

5. gazz

gazz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Seems obvious, but make sure the key is not in the ignition when you change the battery.

It is apparently easy to damage the rear SAM when changing the battery on W203 models, although it's never happened to me.*

*touch wood

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. OP
    OP
    g14

g14 New Member

Thank you all.
    Bought a Bosch battery and fitted it sucessfully.