Change from PC To iMac, help required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
Hi, I have just changed from a PC Windows 8.1 to an iMac27, transferred all the documents across, no problems, except in my music files. On Finder on the Mac I have 1583 tracks, however on iTunes I can only import 383. I downloaded Vox for Mac and as that is tied in with iTunes, also only imports a few tracks. Does anyone know how to get the rest to import.

How exactly are you going about importing these files? And are they mp3 or a different format?

You should be able to simply drag any mp3 file into iTunes to get it listed there; you might want to edit album, etc info, if it doesn't come within a particular file.

If files are not in mp3 format, then there are few more steps ...

Never used Vox, nor even heard of it. I used TuneUp about 6 yrs ago when I moved from Linux to Mac, but mainly to get the albums artwork - can't stand those empty/generic grey squares :rolleyes: Since iTunes now have the same function, it's pretty much redundant.

There's this option Download past purchases

Have a look at FILE-PREFERENCES- /Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media

They should be there. Then FILE-ADD to library ……….etc.

Alternatively, put all the PC wma/wmp/mp3 songs on a drive and move them over that way. Simply opening them on the Mac will add them to iTunes.

Probably never explained myself too clearly, I transferred from my PC to Mac via ethernet cable and now all the tunes are in Finder in alphabetical order and not album order. I am trying to avoid having to drag and drop 1200 or so pieces of music. On other media players I have used, there is usually and option to scan the hard drive for any media, can't seem to find one for Mac. All the tracks are MP3. The other problem is that most of the tracks were put onto the PC either via a CD that I had, or from vinyl via my record deck, so not purchased via iTunes

I have now solved the issue, changed the finder from icon to list, highlighted all the tracks and transferred them to iTunes. I am still learning how to use Mac, thought Windows 8 was bad enough :D:D

I have now solved the issue, changed the finder from icon to list, highlighted all the tracks and transferred them to iTunes. I am still learning how to use Mac, thought Windows 8 was bad enough :D:D

Great, glad you got it sorted.

For the future, there's no need to change your preferred view to deal with files: ⌘A will select all files in a folder; ⌘C to copy; ⌘X to cut; and ⌘V to paste into new location.

⌘ is a very versatile key: for example ⌘⇧3 will take a screenshot of entire desktop; ⌘⇧4 will let you select part of desktop to capture; and ⌘⇧4 [space bar] [mouse click] will capture the active window ... :thumb:

⌘ is a very versatile key: for example ⌘⇧3 will take a screenshot of entire desktop; ⌘⇧4 will let you select part of desktop to capture; and ⌘⇧4 [space bar] [mouse click] will capture the active window ... :thumb:

The screenshot thing on a Mac amazes me - why is it so complicated?

I use a little programme called Capture which is easy to use and allow to capture whole or selected part with ease.

I use a little programme called Capture which is easy to use and allow to capture whole or selected part with ease.

I have a button that says 'printscreen'.

Well it can be as many as 4 keys plus a mouse action and ..frankly yes, when I have had a dedicated button on almost every other operating system for decades.

The @ and # and £ keys are also a frustration, especially when remoting in to another system. Why does Apple not follow globally recognised keyboard layout standards?

I have a button that says 'printscreen'.

Never known mine to print screen, had to open another file to find the screen shot, if I remember where I'd put it :D

... I have had a dedicated button on almost every other operating system for decades.

You have dedicated buttons for every screen capture mode? :doh:

The @ and # and £ keys are also a frustration, especially when remoting in to another system. Why does Apple not follow globally recognised keyboard layout standards?

Couldn't care less, to be honest - my keyboards are US layout, and don't have £ sign on them. It takes considerable effort to bring it up - I had to press [option]3 instead of [shift]3 as on MS keyboard. Oh, the horror! As far as the @ and # - these are in exactly same place as on most other international layouts, apart from UK one ... :rolleyes:

You have dedicated buttons for every screen capture mode? :doh:

Couldn't care less, to be honest - my keyboards are US layout, and don't have £ sign on them. It takes considerable effort to bring it up - I had to press [option]3 instead of [shift]3 as on MS keyboard. Oh, the horror! As far as the @ and # - these are in exactly same place as on most other international layouts, apart from UK one ... :rolleyes:

Print screen for the whole screen and ALT+Printscreen to just do the window. Anything more complicated than that, the built in sniping tool.

The US Keyboard layout is considerably different than UK and does not as you say have the keys in the same location as other international standards (apart from on Macs which don't follow standards).

I work in a multinational and control equipment all over the world remotely and having a keyboard mapping that I can pair to the remote server is rather useful. Unfortunately this isn't possible on a mac that has an apple UK keyboard.

Bit late to the party here.

For the Mac, Evernote has a good screen grab option (which is stored locally and in the cloud) - plus you can add Skitch separately, which has more features. Skitch is very good, we use it in our TV business and do hundreds of grabs a week which we share round the office and with clients. The archive facility is excellent too, allowing you to reuse grabs from weeks/months ago.

Other than Adobe CC and Mail, Skitch is our most widely used Mac App.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom